Anyone got Mobility Scooter recommendations for my mother? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone got Mobility Scooter recommendations for my mother?

parkgate
parkgate Community member Posts: 26 Connected
I wish to buy a scooter for my 88 year old mother ,such that she can use it on pavements ,very occasional road (never main) use and sometimes part of the Trans Pennine Way - gravel/cinder/tarmac route about 5 miles there and back - very flat.

She would never go out alone - I would always cycle along side her- and I would test the routes personally on the scooter first.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thank You.

Comments

• knowy0151
    knowy0151 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    parkgate said:
    I wish to buy a scooter for my 88 year old mother ,such that she can use it on pavements ,very occasional road (never main) use and sometimes part of the Trans Pennine Way - gravel/cinder/tarmac route about 5 miles there and back - very flat.

She would never go out alone - I would always cycle along side her- and I would test the routes personally on the scooter first.

Thank You.
    I just bought one myself on ebay £500 used its great .
    i would recommend a 8 mph one as it has the option of 4 mph at flick of a switch.

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @parkgate,

We have lots of information about wheelchairs and power scooters available on our website, which you might find useful.

If you need impartial advice on scooters, you can call Disabled Living Foundation's helpline on 0300 999 0004 (Monday to Friday, 10 am to 4 pm).
    Liam
  • Boychris
    Boychris Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Hi 
    Go go traveller  is a brilliant little machine breaks down for easy transportation 
    but you need to shop around, best place by far for a new one is Betterlife, 
    LLoyds Pharmacy you would get a good deal from them.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    TGA Mobility are local to me and they do a large range of scooters. Mine folds down quite small and it not only fits most hatchback boots but I recently took it on a plane. The battery is a Lithium type and is very light for its size. Maximum distance is 12.5 miles and it has a variable speed setting. Top speed is much faster than normal walking speed.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Giovana_84
    Giovana_84 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi! I can only talk from my own experience me and my husband both purchased a mobility scooter from tzora.co.uk and I got the smallest one the lite for 995 pounds while my husband got the big one the titan cant remember how much he paid but we are so happy with them we ride everywhere plus we have 3 years warranty so our head clear.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing this with us @Giovana_84 and a very warm welcome to the community. :)
    Scope

• neuromum4
    neuromum4 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    My mum got me a rascal one last year it's a cat 3 but on days when I can it gives me some freedom and I have a basket ,it goes up to 8mph but I do 4mph.

• stephenwilkinson
    stephenwilkinson Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    parkgate said:

Thank You.
    Hi, 
    I recently sourced a scooter for my dad, he's 83. After doing some research and testing I decided upon a Quingo plus. They're quite expensive new so I bought from https://scootermobility.co.uk
    Hope this helps, Stephen.
  • agility5
    agility5 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    A Kymco midi would suit her bearing in mind she may go on the road with it and cinder paths which are not suitable for the car boot type scooters
    they can be picked up at reasonable prices on eBay etc
  • michelle29
    michelle29 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I recommend you check out Class 3 scooters since they are designed for road use. It can travel over 8 mph and are built with lights and indicators. You can visit this page for more information on the types of mobility scooters.

Brightness