Fractured L5 vertebra — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fractured L5 vertebra

Options
KimberlyMartin
KimberlyMartin Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I fractured my L5 vertebra the end of Jan 2020 while trying to save the planet (crush a box for recycling). 

Apply the same amount of force to break one of the strongest bones in the body to the muscles and connective tissue in the right leg, and that’s the amount of tissue damage I am left with. Hamburger meat.

I’m over the fracture. That is so pre-Brexit. I may never fully recover from the damage to my leg. Walking, on two sticks, to the toilet is an ordeal and walking downstairs to just inside the kitchen and back leads to two full days of flat on my back recovery in bed.

I am working with Social services to sort out some assistance.

Any anecdotes, advice, etc., on dealing with all this will be gratefully received.

Thank you!
Kim

Comments

• AvsNutWhalley
    AvsNutWhalley Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    @ To KimberleyMatrin. I hope your not badly hurt. Would you like to be friends with me. Please keep in touch.
  • Han_
    Han_ Community member Posts: 151 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @KimberlyMartin and welcome to the community.
    Thank you for sharing with us, I'm sorry that you're struggling and hope that you can get support in place soon.

Here is a link to some articles relating to home adaptations that may be useful: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/housing-home-adaptations/home-adaptations/

Here is also a link to various articles relating to disability equipment: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/disability-equipment/disability-equipment/

Perhaps using a wheelchair to get to and from the toilet may be helpful? Also may be installing a chair lift may help? I'm not sure if these are ideas already discussed with social services. Hopefully the articles above will provide you with some more ideas. 

I wish you good luck with everything.

Han
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @KimberlyMartin and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm really sorry to hear of your accident, trying to do so much good to in recycling too!  That's such a shame that you are left with some damage to your leg.  I do hope it gets better in time though.  Has your GP offered you any physiotherapy to help your leg?  

I see that @Han has provided some really useful links and information above so I don't really have anything to add to that.  I agree that a wheelchair is a good idea as when I'm in pain and struggling to walk about the house I have to use mine.  I can only imagine that walking about does make you feel so tired and painful after it.  I wish you well in your recovery though and I hope you manage to get some assistance from Social Services too.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on with everything and if you need any help at all then please just give us a shout.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @AvsNutWhalley and welcome also to the Community.  How are you today?  It's nice to meet you.

You will meet lots of new lovely friends on the forum as everyone is so friendly and supportive.  Please feel free to look around the site and join in any discussions that you find interesting.  We have a virtual Coffee Lounge where we chat about our pets, hobbies, books, movies, etc and this is often a good place to start talking to people and getting to know them.  I hope you enjoy your time with us anyway and find the Community to be a useful place to be.  If we can be of any help/support to you then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @KimberlyMartin - Welcome to the community. What an awful thing to happen to you! I hope you find Han's links helpful, together with Ail's advice.
    I could never manage 1 stick, or 2, & found elbow crutches way easier. As Ails says, perhaps a physio evaluation to find out which is the best way forward whilst mobilising, & part-time use of a wheelchair is a possibility if you're comfortable sitting, & able to transfer. Physio exercises may also help.
    It's good you're working with Social Services. Have you been able to get an assessment? :)
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Options
    Sorry you did that. I broke 2  vertebrae a few years ago, too.
    There is nerve damage to the leg.

I can offer a glimmer of hope. It is possible your leg will get better. It is a slow process.

Seeing a neurologist and physical therapist may help.

It takes a lot of patience and work, but do not give up hope.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @KimberlyMartin!

Welcome to Scope and do feel free to take part in some of the discussions on here too. Are you seeing a physical therapist and neurosurgeon (NS) or not? I know quite a lot about the spinal cord and how all of the muscles in the legs should theoretically work as well. It is possible that you will eventually recover so do not abandon hope however. In terms of expected leg function, I say it is quite likely that you will still be able to walk independently.
    You are in my prayers. Make a short list of therapy goals to achieve during sessions. My son has open defect spina bifida which is quite similar to a spinal cord injury. He has no discernible leg movement or function at all and is a full time wheelchair user. 

Brightness