Backdating of Carer’s Allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backdating of Carer’s Allowance

rachmaria
rachmaria Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
My daughter recently turned 16 and has been awarded Enhanced PIP from this month. For the 4 years previous to this she was on high rate care DLA. I didn’t realise that I could claim Carer’s for her before today! I have put in a claim asking for 3 months back dating of CA but have asked them to consider back dating it for longer In the extra information section, as I could have claimed from 2016 but wasn’t aware that I could. 
Is it likely that they will consider this? 
Her DLA was from July 2016-May 2020, DLA has just ended and PIP has just begun. 
Do they ever backdate longer than 3 months if she has been on the qualifying benefit for years? Trying not to kick myself now for not knowing before! 
Thanks in advance for any help or advice offered. 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @rachmaria and a warm welcome to the community. 
    The 3 month backdate shouldn't be a problem but when considering the longer backdate you've requested they will look at whether they believe you had "good reason". Not knowing you could claim isn't usually considered 'good reason' but if there are any extenuating circumstances they may look at those. 

Can I ask what you have been claiming in the mean time?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • rachmaria
    Thank you for the reply. 
    Myself I am on income-related ESA (support group, with SDP) and PIP, and claim Child tax credits. My daughter had DLA then switched to PIP. 
    I have explained on the application for CA, and will just wait to see what they say! 
    I’m not even sure now if I can claim CA for looking after her, whether it will be deducted and a carer premium added instead. Have now applied online so will go through the waiting period and see what happens. Thanks for your advice. 

• Adrian_Scope
    Hello @rachmaria
    It's my understanding that as an overlapping benefit, your CA would be deducted from your ESA and then you'll receive the carer premium added on. So your ESA amount will change but you'll then receive CA alongside it.
    In total you should be about £32 a week better off.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • rachmaria
    That’s what I thought from all I have read. Many thanks For the info.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Fingers crossed for the backdate. Let us know how you get on @rachmaria
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.