Hi I’m new and confused lol — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I’m new and confused lol

Shanty321
Shanty321 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
Hi i joined a few days ago and I have enjoyed reading people’s comments and responses. I’m going to need a lot of help re benefit entitlement so please be patient with me lol.

Comments

• Lauren95
    Lauren95 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Hello am new too so don’t worry we are all friendly and hope you find us a friendly place to be ?
  • Shanty321
    Hi Lauren thank you for your welcome ?
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Shanty321 I’m going to tag @Adrian_Scope to see if he can assist you.
  • Shanty321
    Thank you Emma it’s much appreciated I’m really struggling with benefit advice. I’m none stop googling its so difficult n stressful, hoping you are keeping well ?
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    @Shanty321 I hope it helps. I know it’s a tough time at the moment but know the community is here if you need us. I am thank you.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shanty321 and welcome to the Community.  How are you today?  It's nice to meet you and thank you for joining us.  I'm glad to hear you have been enjoying reading the information on the site so far.  Please try not to worry about help with your benefits as I'm sure @Adrian_Scope will try his best to assist you.  

Please chat to us anytime as there will always be someone on here to listen.  I look forward to seeing you on the forum anyway.  If we can be of any help/support to you then please just say.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shanty321 - & welcome to the community from me too. It's often frustrating & time consuming googling for benefit advice. Luckily we have a very knowledgeable Scope team, as well as many helpful members who have an understanding about benefits. So, your short cut is to ask here instead! And don't worry, everyone here is kind & supportive, with lots of patience.
    Is it a general query as to what benefits you may be entitled to, or one about a specific benefit? :)
  • Shanty321
    Hi thank you so much for your kind words and warm welcome x I will definitely be back soon for some advice ?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Let us know what help you need @Shanty321 and we'll do our best to give you some guidance! Speak to you soon. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Shanty321
    Hi Adrian thank you for your warm welcome, I have been going round in circles I have done the online calculations. Currently I’m on ssp and get pip husband receives Carers Allowance for our son also receive some housing benefit whilst I was working and also now whilst in receipt of ssp. One of the queries I have is that the calculation is saying £191 a week UC £24 CT £67 CA also my PIP but no mention of any help towards housing do I have to pay my rent out of the UC? At the moment whilst in work and now whilst on ssp we get some elements for receiving pip and Carers which our local council knock of the weekly rent would we lose these elements if I had to claim UC sorry for going on and once again thank you I do appreciate your help.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shanty321

Good Evening!!!!!!!!

I am one of the Community Champion’s.

Just read through your recent posts.

I just wanted to see how things were going if you don’t mind ????

@steve51
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shanty321 - I'll ask @Adrian_Scope for his advice as I see you've said more about your benefits query. Great you asked, Steve. :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Shanty321. Universal Credit usually includes a housing element with which you'd be expected to pay your rent. Without knowing you entire situation it would be difficult to advise whether the calculation you've done is correct. It might be worth you speaking to someone at Advicelocal and seeing if there's anyone who would be willing to do you a full benefits check-up or a better off calculation.

As you're already in receipt of housing benefit is there a reason you're particularly looking to move to UC? The other option for you to explore would be New Style ESA, but eligibility would depend on your previous work history and National Insurance contributions. 

(Thank you for the tag @chiarieds)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.