out out!! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

out out!!

pollyanna1052
pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
Well, for the first time in 8 weeks I ventured out of the house and garden today.

My carer suggested we take our poodle for a walk. I agreed and set off in my wheelchair. A couple of people walked passed us, put their masks on and walked out into the road. I put my mask on and thanked them.

We went to the local shops and I felt very strange. I didn't want to go in the supermarket...very few people had masks on.

An elderly man came to stroke the dog...I apologised and asked him not to. He looked hurt. It made me tear up.

This is not how I normally react with people. I`m a chatty, friendly person...but not today. I don't like this.

I was glad to get home where I feel safe.

Comments

• Lauren95
    Lauren95 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Hello Pollyanna1052 
    I understand completely how you feel but you can’t be blamed for feeling the way you do, your not alone we
    are all in this together xx 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Agreed, we are all in this together, @pollyanna1052 you must do what you have to do, we will come through this, hopefully stronger and wiser?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    For the first time in weeks I played a quick game of tennis. It was fun to drink water and have fun at a local tennis court. 
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    Hey @Polyanna1052, i'm glad you got out for a bit, sorry it didn't end well for you, it is safer in our own spaces at the moment, give it time hopefully you will feel better when out and about
    @April2018mom, glad you managed a quick game, take care and have fun
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pollyanna1052, glad to hear you got out for a bit today.  I can understand how you would feel unsafe as being at home for so long can probably feel like a safe cocoon for us and we hear so much about this awful disease in the media it is no wonder when we go out we feel frightened and I don't blame you.  Hopefully the next time you go out you will feel a bit better about things and I'm sure it won't take long before you are back to your former self and chatting away to people.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi @pollyanna1052. The whole social distancing thing is very weird! Like @Ails said you will soon get used to it. When I take my dog for a walk down the riverbank I have been having to turn round and walk in the other direction when people walk towards me. My dog is used to running up to other dogs and playing and am not letting her do it now. I think she is getting confused by it all. Roll on when it is all over! 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    thankyou for all your replies and support.

Yes, let`s get back to normal...just not quite yet!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pollyanna1052, I can completely see why it would have been such an odd and hard trip. You made the right decision for you and that's okay.

How are you feeling this afternoon? :)
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    How are you getting on @pollyanna1052? Have you ventured out again since your last trip? 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness