My allowance will stop — Scope | Disability forum

My allowance will stop

linnie54 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
I am a carer for my wife who at the moment receives pip . Her award ends on the 12 June but she is hoping to be reassessed but obviously as there are no face to face interviews at the moment they are allowing 6 months grace at the moment to allow for the backlog . I assume that as the pip and carers allowance people are all part of the DWP I can only assume that each office knows the situation with the 6 months grace . My wife’s blue badge also runs out on the 12 June and again until She receives written notification as to the 6 months wait her badge will be suspended and my carers allowance will stop . 


  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,358

    Scope community team

    Hello @linnie54. Has your wife not received a letter saying her PIP is being extended for 6 months? 
    If she has, your Carer's Allowance will continue until then too. If she hasn't, it would be worth calling to check whether it will be. 
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • linnie54
    linnie54 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Tried calling pip line but been on phone for over an hour and still no answer . My wife did manage to get through a couple of weeks ago to someone but they said they cannot issue a letter to say it’s been extended as my award is still active until the 12 June then they can send me a letter to say it’s been extended ! Rather silly really because she depends on her blue badge to get around safely but that will stop once the pip stops and then she has to reapply !! Bonkers !!! 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 13,297 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, have you spoken to the council about the blue badge expiring, I am sure there are lots of other people in the same situation maybe they make allowances and can re-issue based on previous award until a re-assessment takes place  


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.