Mandatory reconsideration pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mandatory reconsideration pip

Stantheman1
Stantheman1 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi, so I was recently awarded pip due to my mental health and was given the daily living allowance. But was not awarded the mobility scheme I was recommended to apply for pip precisely to get the mobility For transport reasons so hopfully it would help me getting out as I cannot use public transport I have today asked for a mandatory reconsideration I don’t actually no anythink about it all so was wondering if anyone could help? 
Thanks!

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Stantheman1, can I just clarify if you claim PIP or DLA?

I can understand why the mobility element would be beneficial for you. Did you score any mobility points?

If you disagree with the decision and feel you fit the descriptions then a mandatory reconsideration (MR) could help.

Here is some information about an MR. I also would recommend asking for a copy of your report if you haven't already as this will allow you to see how you scored and why the assessor didn't give you certain points.

When writing a letter for MR it is important to not say what they have got wrong, but why you meet a specific criteria. 

Please do let us know how you get on and if you have anymore questions. :)
    Scope

• Stantheman1
    Hi @Chloe_Scope thanks for the reply! I’m not sure what I scored in mobility it didn’t say? But my prime reason for applying for pip was the mobility services. In regards to my MR will I still continue to be paid the standard living allowance that I’ve been awarded? As I’m abit confused online it says I will if I receive the lower rates Which I do. Then it says I won’t do I don’t quite no? Thanks 
  • Stantheman1
    sorry i claim pip I’ve only just been able to claim this I’m new to it so don’t no much to be honest, I just hope they look at it and actually see they have made maybe a slight error and award me the mobility component. It’s made me so anxious I couldn’t even talk properly when I phoned up I was stuttering, pausing it was terrible. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @stantheman - Having gone through the PIP process, then going for a MR (as well as seeing many comments on this forum), I can assure you that you will continue to get paid the standard amount you have already been awarded for the daily living component until a decision is made on your MR.  Sadly less than 1 in 5 MRs change things/result in a higher award. It's just a stage that sadly many people have to go through before appealing, where the success is way more favourable.
    As Chloe has suggested, it's a good idea to ring the DWP on 0800 121 4433 & ask for a copy of the assessor's report as at the end of this it shows the points given, or not for each of the activities/descriptors, for both daily living & mobility.
    You've asked for a MR it seems, but have you written one? If not, we will all help you with this. Please let us know. :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @stantheman, as @chiarieds has said, you will still receive the daily living element. However, when you make an appeal they will look at your full award so there is a risk of them change the decision on the daily living element. 

Getting the report will allow you to see how many points your scored and if you feel you should have scored higher on certain elements. Here is the PIP descriptors for reference.

For the mobility component, here are the things that will gain you the award:

Planning and following journeys

• Can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided. 0 points
    • Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 4 points
    • Cannot plan the route of a journey. 8 points
    • Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid. 10 points
    • Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 10 points
    • Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. 12 points

Moving around

• Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0 points
    • Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided 4 points
    • Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8 points
    • Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points
    • Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points
    • Cannot, either aided or unaided, – (i) stand; or (ii) move more than 1 metre. 12 points
    If you receive 8 to 11 points you will get the standard rate. You would need 12 points or more for the enhanced rate.

I hope this make sense but please do ask questions if you need anything clarifying. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.