Council housing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council housing

HELPHELP
HELPHELP Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Hello Friends!
This is my first post.
I first try to explain the situation.
Me, my partner  are in U.K. more than 5 years, we have a 2 y/o doughter. We are now living in a one bedroom apartment.
My partner had some big issues during pregnancy and the diagnosis was ulcerative colitis and latent TB
Ulcerative colitis therapy has lot of consequences like osteopenia, overweight-obese, fatigue, headache, insomnia, she is immunocompromised and have limited capability to work.
Lets talk about the apartment.
There is no extractor fan in the kitchen (landlord refused to install one, not required by law), the window handle is not easy to reach so to open the window  is difficult especially for my partner because there's a counter in between and she has limited capability of movement. Also because of the counter it is not possible to open it widely.
This conditon leads to have condense in the house  and mold is  growing easily on walls and ceiling, in the kitchen (ceiling, walls, cupboards, behind cupboards and washing machine)  bathroom (ceiling, walls, underneath sink) and bedroom.  It is well know that this could worsen her health condition but also our child's and mine.
It is also difficult to find another flat due to low income (I work 30 hours and I need to help her taking care of house and child) and having a baby.
Electricity bills for this apartment are very high, the Energy Performance Certificate figures £2421 over 3 years  but we spent £2134,9 from 18/7/2017 to 28/11/2108 and still the bills are very high, we're paying nearly double of what figured on EPC.
I applied for a council house main reason was: "overcrowded" and they automatically assigned us priority band 5. In order to try to get a better priority code I changed the main reason in "Property unsuitable on age or health grounds"
They didn't assign us a new priority band.
Now my question is:
what is the best I could do to apply for a council house? Any suggestion is very welcome!
Thanks all

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @HELPHELP
    Have you contacted Citizen's Advice or not? 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @HELPHELP sorry to hear you are having all these problems, do you claim universal credit to get help with your rent? Your best bet would probably be to find a better rented accommodation in the private sector as social housing isn't easy to get. As well as @April2018mom suggestion of talking to the CAB it might be an idea (when possible)to talk to a local councillor.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @HELPHELP, sorry for the delay in responding. Just wanted to check in to see if you have had any progress with this? Hope you and your family are well. :)

Scope

• HELPHELP
    HELPHELP Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi all! . I contacted the citizen advice and sent an email to the council environmental team. Not much has happened at the moment. 
    Thank you for your help

Brightness