Pregnancy and PIP / ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pregnancy and PIP / ESA

Options
kano7481
kano7481 Community member Posts: 44 Connected
Hi everyone hope all of you are ok.

My sister suffer from epilepsy she is getting ESA support group and PIP, she is now pregnant ( not planned from a short relationship ) she is 26 weeks now and want to know please if she has to tell ESA and PIP about her pregnancy and when, will this change affect her benefits like a reassessment ?

Any advice please ?

Thank you

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @kano7481

If she is single and pregnant, she may be eligible for Income Support (or Universal Credit). However, she is still eligible for ESA. She could only be on one of these benefits though.

For some people it is better to move to Income support or Universal Credit because you would receive more money on that than on ESA.

Does she have to attend work related activities as part of being on ESA? If this is the case then they may 'switch them off' at the later stage of pregnancy.

I would advise ringing DWP and explaining her situation.

Also, her PIP would not be affected. Wishing her the best and please do let us know how she gets on. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome I see you have been given advice already. I just wanted to welcome you and wish your sister good luck with her pregnancy
  • kano7481
    Options
    Hi @kano7481

If she is single and pregnant, she may be eligible for Income Support (or Universal Credit). However, she is still eligible for ESA. She could only be on one of these benefits though.

For some people it is better to move to Income support or Universal Credit because you would receive more money on that than on ESA.

Does she have to attend work related activities as part of being on ESA? If this is the case then they may 'switch them off' at the later stage of pregnancy.

I would advise ringing DWP and explaining her situation.

Also, her PIP would not be affected. Wishing her the best and please do let us know how she gets on. :)
    Thank you so much for your advice and kindness. 

Yes she is single she is in support group and doesn't have to attend any work activities. 

I think it's better for her to stay on ESA if she doesn't have to move to another benefit to avoid the stress of new forms and medical , also she receive about £190 a week from ESA maybe she will not get more on other benefits. 

Thank you again :)
  • kano7481
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Hello and welcome I see you have been given advice already. I just wanted to welcome you and wish your sister good luck with her pregnancy
    Thank you so much for your kindness I passed your wishes to her, she is happy with the pregnancy and we her sisters will support and help her with the baby :)
  • kano7481
    Options
    Depending on the impact of her health conditions during pregnancy there may be merit in notifying PIP if, for example, she’s only on standard rates. Extra points may be available which could move her to enhanced rates. It’s Ken time get advice on before notifying though. 

Thank you for your advice.

Yes the pregnancy sickness affected her condition but she is already getting enhaced rates for both components.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Hi @kano7481, how are things going? :)
    Scope

• kano7481
    Options
    Hi @kano7481, how are things going? :)

Thank you for asking :smile:

I am just waiting for a time when she is able to deal with the phone calls as I think they will need to speak to her aswell to confirm her details

• Chloe_Scope
    Options
    I hope it goes okay @kano7481!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.