Terrified of claiming again — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Terrified of claiming again

dicko
dicko Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have COPD and suffer with anxiety and depression all my adult life I have only been awarded 8 points for my mobility which is very restricted distances that I can achieve (safely) and certainly could not repeat that was over a year ago it is worsening month by month and I’m terrified to even consider trying to claim it again can anyone help with “any” advice please thank you 

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dicko and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you and thanks for sharing with us.  I'm really sorry to hear about your restricted mobility and can appreciate your stress over this and with regards to applying for PIP.  Please find below some information on PIP which Scope has put together which may be of some help to you in moving forward with this -

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/personal-independence-payment-pip/

I hope you find this information useful, but if you have any questions or need some help/support then please just say.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi as you already claim you are unable to claim again

However if your award is in place for some time and you have had a worsening of condition then you could report a change in circumstances it isn't worth reporting if your award is nearly up..

Have a good look through your last report and see if you think you would score any more points before making a decision to report the change

This will trigger a new review form an a new assessment but be cautious as it may not go in your favour and you could lose the reward you already have in place 
  • scoobydoo9899
    scoobydoo9899 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    No I mean I haven’t got an award as I only scored 8 points first time around and my health is significantly worse now and I’m afraid of going through it all again 
  • scoobydoo9899
    When you say “claim it again” do you really mean renew the claim?

One of the things to look at would be to explicitly request a longer award length, accompanied by a full justification.
    I mean I have not been awarded anything from my first assessment due to only getting 8 points overall 
  • scoobydoo9899
      I mean I have not been awarded anything from my first assessment due to only getting 8 points overall 
  • MsCuriosity
    MsCuriosity Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    @Username_removed
    Hi there
    It seems that you can gain point for hidden disabilities which will raise your points. Keep trying, you will get there.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.