Why did we get free car tax when neither me and my partner drive? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why did we get free car tax when neither me and my partner drive?

zane
zane Community member Posts: 149 Courageous
edited June 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I’m on high rate mobility pip and award and I got certificate free vehicle tax but me and my partner don’t drive but my partner and me go in taxis to help me plan journey . So I don’t know why  got certificate since can’t renew it . And pip know me and my partner don’t try and my partner take care of me . Can anyone help explain please.
Tagged:

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, as you received higher rate for the mobility part of PIP as the receiver of the award you are entitled to the reduced car tax regardless if you drive and use it or like yourselves don’t drive. You could apply for a mobility car as well. I was awarded high rate mobility and used the free car tax benefit on my previous car a saving of £225 each year but my new purchase has a tax band of £20 per year so I have not claimed it, which means those insured to drive my car can do so using it for any purpose instead of previously for the benefit claimant only. It’s annoying having a benefit and not able to use it.
  • zane
    But me and my partner just take taxis only to plan journeys so we don’t need use that certificate then  am I right  please reply 
  • zane
    wilko said:
    Hello and welcome, as you received higher rate for the mobility part of PIP as the receiver of the award you are entitled to the reduced car tax regardless if you drive and use it or like yourselves don’t drive. You could apply for a mobility car as well. I was awarded high rate mobility and used the free car tax benefit on my previous car a saving of £225 each year but my new purchase has a tax band of £20 per year so I have not claimed it, which means those insured to drive my car can do so using it for any purpose instead of previously for the benefit claimant only. It’s annoying having a benefit and not able to use it.

• zane
    My partner helps me plan journeys in taxi so I don’t need use certificate then please reply 
  • zane
    edited May 2020
    wilko said:
    So I don’t need to use the certificate since me and my partner use taxi my partner help me plan journeys am I right o please reply 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @zane and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I know it is rather puzzling DWP benefits at times, but I hope you have found @wilko's information to be helpful.  I hope you enjoy your time with us on the Community.  If we can be of any further help/support then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    If you don't want the certificate then just ignore it
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• zane
    Ails said:
    Hi @zane and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I know it is rather puzzling DWP benefits at times, but I hope you have found @wilko's information to be helpful.  I hope you enjoy your time with us on the Community.  If we can be of any further help/support then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Hi can you help me do I need use certificate since my partner  plan journeys in taxi since me or do we not need use certificate since we don’t have a car or my partner thanks need help please reply 
  • zane
    woodbine said:
    If you don't want the certificate then just ignore it
    How you know did you have one and  didn’t use it 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @zane - Welcome to the community from me too. If you are awarded the enhanced rate for the mobility component of PIP, you automatically get the certificate. Some people use it if they drive; others don't. I received one as I too get the enhanced rate, but as I no longer drive, I don't use it.
    So, as others have said, it's something that you get, but you don't have to use it. As you use taxis, you won't need to use the certificate. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.