APPLYING FOR UC - DISABLED STUDENTS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

APPLYING FOR UC - DISABLED STUDENTS

April
April Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
edited June 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
I was going to apply for New Style ESA for my daughter as a way of getting a capability for work assessment. Then I was going to apply for UC for her. I was told that this was the only way round the system to get UC for disabled students.
 But, with coronavirus, capability for work assessments have been dropped. So what do I do now? Do I apply straight away for UC for her?
Hope someone can help. Thanks 

Comments

• Rhodie72
    Rhodie72 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Apply now.
    Dream big, plan well, achieve goals, live the dream.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi You can still apply tho there will be a delay in assessments etc but they are still taking place over the phone rather than face to face.

If you apply for UC in order to have a capability assessment you need to provide medical certificates to start the process going, they will then after time send the work capability assessment form, but be warned this is a long process even in normal times.

So the earlier you start the process the better I was waiting 7 months from sending in first sick note to a decision

Im not able to advise whether you should claim ESA or UC as IM not really knowledgeable which is for which etc 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @April. Can I ask how old your daughter is and whether you are still receiving any benefits for her (tax credit, child element of UC or child benefit)?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April
    Hello @April. Can I ask how old your daughter is and whether you are still receiving any benefits for her (tax credit, child element of UC or child benefit)?
    Hi Adrian, My daughter is nearly 21 and she gets PIP due to her disability.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks for the information @April. She should be able to claim Universal Credit with a fit note from her GP to begin the Work Capability Assessment process. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April
    Thanks for the information @April. She should be able to claim Universal Credit with a fit note from her GP to begin the Work Capability Assessment process. 

Thanks Adrian. I thought disabled students were barred from getting a work capability assessment for UC. Apparently they get rejected for UC at that point. They are entitled to UC, but can't get it because they are refused a work capability assessment. A catch 22 situation. Is that right? Or have the rules changed during the pandemic? 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.