What does everyone do for fun? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What does everyone do for fun?

Danire
Danire Community member Posts: 18 Connected
Hey guys, just wondering what everyone does for fun? I read detective thrillers, study animal behaviour, I'm involved in advocacy and I love driving. Looking forward to hearing from everyone 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, they all sound like really interesting hobbies. Especially animal behaviour. Can you explain why our dog will constantly drop a stick at our feet as if to say "throw it!!" then when we bend down to pick it up, he just snatches it and runs off 20 yards and drops it again? :D It is as if he wants us to throw it but then he seemingly doesn't? 

I also love driving. It is my main hobby. Before the "lockdown" I would go out for a drive once a day if possible. Under normal circumstances I get through about a tank of fuel a week so it is an expensive hobby but it is something I like doing. I also have driven, and been driven, on the track, too, and that was really enjoyable, but again expensive so I can't do it often. I am into advanced driving and often watch videos and read about advanced driving techniques and try to put them into practise on the road. What car do you drive?

I am also into good food and drink but trying to cut down on those, especially alcoholic drinks. I do still have a dram or two a day though in the evening and make it last a good hour, maybe two. That is kind of a hobby, to me.

Also, I am studying for an A level at the moment as I had to drop out of school and missed out on my qualifications. I'm enjoying doing that.

Finally, posting on forums like this one is something I enjoy doing. I post on a few different forums in addition to this one.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Danire, thanks for starting this interesting thread.  You have lots of interesting hobbies I see.  What kind of advocacy work do you do?  My mum loves reading detective thrillers too and is always raving about them!  That's good you are studying animal behaviour.  I recently completed an online course about dogs and cats and in it was a bit about their behaviour.  I really enjoyed it, but still can't work out at times why my cat behaves the crazy way that she does at times, lol!  

I enjoy doing a few things too which I have tried to keep going whilst in lock-down.  I love doing arts & crafts and make cards for Christmas, birthdays, etc.  I'm not very good, but I do put my own "take" on them and find it really therapeutic.  I also enjoy knitting and usually go to a local knitting group, but obviously that isn't running at the moment.  So try to keep that up at home too when I can.  I love going out into my garden and enjoy pottering about there, especially when the weather is good like we are having at times just now.  Before lock-down I was going to a weekly Tai Chi class which I was enjoying as I find it helps me with my pain, so being trying to practice that at home too.  Apart from that, I also enjoy coming on here and chatting to people and helping if I can as it is a wonderful Community of people!  I enjoy reading, mainly classic novels or just a good book with a nice story to it, I love cooking (again not that good, but do enjoy trying to do it) and I am a bit of a TV addict at times too and love comedies and good dramas!    :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Danire
    Hi @Ails. I've just started with a group focusing on patient advocacy, it will be very interesting I think. That's cool that you did that course it's interesting to find out why dogs and cats behave the way they do. Cool does your mum have a favourite detective author? Mine is Mark Billingham. Do you have any pictures of any of the cards you have made? I also love sitting out in the garden when it's nice out because I live in the countryside so it's super quiet. I stopped watching TV years ago so I just watch Netflix now ?. Good to connect with you ?
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    You all have interesting things to do,i  like to read, i'm into Terry pratchett at the moment, working my way through the discworld series of books, very funny stuff, i am online a lot at various forums that interest me, i like interacting with people online, i'm better at it there than in person for some reason, i also like watching movies and we like netflix and amazon prime, 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    @Grinchy yes I can relate to being much better at interacting online than in person. Online you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with me but in real life I am a total wreck in a social situation!!

I think part of it is that online you can read what someone has written and type your reply, then read it back before pressing send and edit it if it doesn't seem quite right. In real life you are expected to reply immediately and you have one chance to say what you want and it's much harder to backtrack if you get it wrong!
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang, yes exactly that, its easier online as you said, my anxiety gets the better of me in social situations, and sometimes i wish the ground would open up and swallow me, :)
    its something i hope to work on in the future, but i have an online presence and thats fine with me, i have many cyber friends, and a few close friends in real life
  • Danire
    @Grinchy @66Mustang it's definitely easier online. Good to connect with you both 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This is a cool thread. I love art. My mother used to have a easel. I grew up in the American countryside so my summers were spent collecting rocks and pine cones to use. I also did several tree rubbings too and drawings of ducks on a lake. I make birthday and Christmas cards as well. Someone gave me a card design kit once as a present. I have even tried flower pressing in the past. As a child I was quite good at painting. I adore colouring. 

I love reading too. I am a voracious reader and always have been. I read adult books and magazine articles mainly. I still love to read a book in bed. Does anyone else like to do the same thing? I like to read grown up books but adult magazine articles will do instead if I am in a hurry to catch a train or board a plane. You can learn so much by reading I have found. 
    As it is Sunday, I have read the Bible today. We had a reading lesson today that basically revolved around the story of Daniel and the lions den. Halfway the lesson I asked some questions.
    I even love reading cookbooks too. 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Danire, and thanks for your reply.  Your patient advocacy work sounds really interesting.  I hope you are enjoying it.  My mum reads a lot of the PD James books, but she likes Jeffrey Archer and books about the Second World War too!  I don't have any pics of my cards so far.  Will need to take some and put them on Kaleidoscope.  Where you live sounds lovely and quiet so no wonder you enjoy sitting out in the sun.  We live in a semi-rural village so it is fairly quiet too.  I'm originally from a big town where my parents still live and when I go to visit them  always think it is so noisy and busy, I could never go back to that!  A couple of my friends have Netflix and say it's really good.  Great to connect with you too!  Hope you had a nice weekend!  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Some interesting hobbies @Danire! I imagine that has kept you busy during lockdown. I love reading, writing and photography. How are you today? :)
    Scope

• Danire
    Oh cool. What genre do you write? I'm good, how are you?

Brightness