Reasonable adjustments - for academic HE — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reasonable adjustments - for academic HE

Mazmullen
Mazmullen Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello, I wonder if anyone has advice about reasonable adjustments in the workplace as an employee lecturer in the academic HE context? Many thanks Maz

Comments

• Rhodie72
    Rhodie72 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Yes, I may be able to offer pointers... what would you like to know?
    Dream big, plan well, achieve goals, live the dream.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there as above I may be able to give you some advice I have experience of workplace adjustments and employment law, not specifically in HE though.

Is there anything specific as you post doesn't give much detail  
  • Mazmullen
    Hi, trying to work out a few discussion points: 

1. in a work context ; more clarification how to approach balanced work load and related contractual research requirements;

For example; based on this year what is reasonable in terms of workloads to request?
    (The workload was unmanageable to deliver to the standard to my intended standard) . 

Clarification where to draw the line between manageable balanced workload (for example requesting a role as course leader for one course, not two courses as was the case this year. Is this reasonable?). 

Clarification of workload against duties in order to complete required other duties as agreed at appointment (PHD/CPD/SFHEA/other enterprise - pedagogy /television production 

2. Quiet room to work; not in open plan office.

3. support with IT systems; adequate time and training on work systems and ensure all systems are speaking to each other for example with remote working this is essential. 
     4. Noise cancelling headphones/foot stool for computer work
    5. Home working/flexible hours to manage schedule for health 

wondered if there is any guidance to help with these conversations for example with a health professional. 
    Any thoughts suggestions welcome. Thank you
    Maz
  • Mazmullen
    ps disability -  ASC-ADHD
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi sorry for late response I only come on in afternoons

I would say that the points you have given are all reasonable adjustments to request. By law your employer has to consider any reasonable adjustments suggested to them however if they are not practical they don't have to make them happen but give reasons why.

Most employees would ask to be referred to OCCUPATIONAL health if they have them available they will then do an assessment and work with you and the employer suitable adjustments based on your needs and their ability to have then in place.

If you don't have access to OH then discus with your HR DEPARTMENT the options available or for the policy.

If your employers are not at all accommodating you can get advice from your union or if not from ACAS

I know my response isn't very specific as I am not familiar with education sector policy but if I can be of any more help just ask
  • Mazmullen
    Thank you so much, really helpful. ?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mazmullen. have you had any support from Access to Work?
    Scope

Brightness