DLA low care — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA low care

Kazzie0
Kazzie0 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited June 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello I'm Kazzie0, I'm new to this, not sure what to do..

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Kazzie0 and welcome to the community. Is there anything you need help or advice with? :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kazzie0 Welcome to the community good to have you on board.

You don't have to do anything maybe you want to tell us a bit about yourself.

If not have a look round the community maybe look in the coffee lounge of new members. Feel free to join in any discussions or start one yourself

Is there is anything we can help you with just ask
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kazzie0 and welcome to the Community.  How are you today?  It's nice to meet you.  I know it can be quite daunting sometimes joining a new forum, but everyone is lovely and friendly on here and just start chatting to people when you feel ready.  There is no rush and I hope you enjoy your time with us.  I look forward to seeing you around anyway.  If we can help or support you with anything then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Kazzie0
    Hi Thanks for welcoming  me join your group, Yes it is quite daunting sorry.. There are a few things I'd like advice on..I've been disabled most my life, I am on disability, low carers, I've been told I've not been getting the correct payments in the UK, I'm originally from NZ..But now that I need more help after having a heart attack on the 9th May, I don't know how to apply, any help would be appreciated. thank you all. stay safe & well :)

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kazzie0 - Welcome to the community from me too. I'm sorry to read you had a heart attack so recently. May I ask is it Personal Independence Payment (PIP) that you mention? Also when you say you're not getting the correct payments, is this that you're not getting the right amount, or that you've been told you should get a higher award, such as the enhanced rate of PIP for the daily living component? :)
  • Kazzie0
    Hi chiarieds, I am still on DLA, never changed to PIP. I have been to see CAB, Taken all DWP  paper work as I don't understand how benefits in the UK work..I am suppose to be on disability high rate, Pension credits guaranteed, and low rate carers allowance, when I was told I should be on higher carers allowance, as I can't do a lot at the moment..I was told at Bristol Hospital to get forms fill in to have my disability and day to day living looked at again..No idea what forms they mean..thank you so much for replying to me..Take care..Kazzie0
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Kazzie0 - I will ask a member of the Scope team to better help you tomorrow. So, with your DLA, what awards do you have for the daily living component, & also the mobility component? Also, how long were you given DLA for?
    I'm sorry, but I find Carer's Allowance confusing, & am unsure if you were advised to see if you could increase your DLA award. If you would kindly answer my further queries, it may better help the Scope team to help you. We'll get this sorted, & support you along the way! :)
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kazzie0

Good Morning & Welcome it’s great to meet you.

I am one of the Community Champion’s on here.

I would be more than happy in helping you with question about your Benefits.

First of all we have got a “Benefit Calculator” that would give you a good idea with any Benefit’s available.

Here’s the link below for you:

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/calculate-your-benefits/

Please please let me know if you have any problems.

@steve51

• chiarieds
    @Adrian_Scope or @Chloe_Scope - please would you advise here, thank you.
  • Lauren95
    Lauren95 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Good morning good to have you with us and welcome to the Community? we are a friendly group of people who help and support each other also we chat about anything and everything, feel free to join with the forums whenever you feel ready ?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hello @Kazzie0. It sounds like CAB advised you to do a change of circumstances under worsening condition for your DLA to try for high-rate care rather than the low-rate you're currently receiving. When did you last see CAB? Are you still in contact with them? They should be able to help sort the forms and help you to fill them in. 
    If they're unable, you could look to see if there is a Welfare Rights or other agency near you that could help with the forms. You can see what is available in your area here: https://advicelocal.uk/

Community Manager
    Scope
  • Kazzie0
    I've not seen CAB since before the lock down.. I'll need to get my paper work back out see exactly what payments i'm getting..My Disability in paid every 4 weeks,  in two payments...I just received a letter from DWP  stating as of the 10th April 2020 my pension credit will be £93.62, pension will pay me £73.14 a week.. Because my pension credit includes the pension credit guarantee credit, I'm are also entitled to some health benefits..I never received a leaflet to look at..Ill be contacted separately about any increases in other benefits I receive. I've not heard anything as yet..But DWP said could take a while..I have felt that since I've been in the UK, over 20yrs no one has listened or tried helping me..I will see if can fish out disability papers..Not been able contact CAB, since lock down..Thank you all so much...Kazzie0..

• Adrian_Scope
    Do you know roughly how much you receive from DLA? It may help us work out exactly which group you're in. It does sound like CAB meant the care element of DLA rather than Carer's Allowance as you can't claim Carer's Allowance for yourself.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Kazzie0
    DLA £417.02 monthly..roughly.. retirement £73.46
  • Kazzie0
    Sorry I only gave figures that are on my letter... Before my heart attack I've needed help doing daily tasks, even dressing is exhausting, worse now after heart attack, So if your saying as everyone one else it makes no sense, I've no idea what to  do..I do know that others not as ill, disabled as I am are getting 3/4 times what I've been getting, yet their suppose to be on lower rate to me..Any way think I'll just have to leave it at that, No one seems to understand.. very stressful for me..thank you very much...Kazzie0
  • chiarieds
    Hi again@Kazzie0 - I'm sorry if we seem to not understand, & that's causing you more stress. That is not our intent. It happens quite often that, when someone asks about benefits, that we need to ask more questions (to understand more too). We're trying to help you get the benefits you need; please know no-one is disputing your health problems.
    To try & explain about our questions:
    - There are 2 components with DLA, one is about care, & the other about mobility.
    - With the care part, there are 3 different rates - low, middle & high.
    - With the mobility part, there are just 2 rates - low, & high.
    Would you please look at your letter from the DWP. It should say which rates you are currently receiving.
    What was puzzling, was that the total amount of DLA you said you receive, didn't seem to be made up of any combination of the different rates a person could get for DLA. So, knowing what rate you get for each part of DLA would be helpful. It sounds like you get either the low or middle rate for care, but please check which this might be, & say if you receive anything for the mobility component.
    As mentioned above, your recent heart attack, which has worsened your disability, won't be taken into consideration as you need to have had the problems this caused for 3 months, which is not yet the case.
    So, please let us know what rates you are getting for DLA. It may be that we can advise you about this, which may be helpful in the future if you continue to have extra care needs. You may also get advice that you may be able to get other benefits, so please help us to understand, thank you. :)

• Kazzie0
    Hi chiarieds, Thanks for getting back to me..I will see if can get print out of dwp letter, not been well last few day's. .so not done anything as yet, I do believe stress, depression has not helped my health the past 20yrs I've been in the UK..will look at DWP, so warden here as well so she will hopefully know what i'm saying..Kazzie0.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.