Need my carers back — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need my carers back

walesrecouperating
walesrecouperating Community member Posts: 1 Listener
There is so little guidance for helping the vulnerable or disabled. I had a cleaner 1x per week and a massage 2x per week as an alternative to medicine. Up until a week or two ago, I had a friend who helped with shopping and cleaning but is now unable to. My mental health is deteriorating as I struggle to keep up with self care.  Are we allowed a massage, cleaner, or haircut if caution is taken? My hair is now so matted I cannot wash it and frustrated the government doesn't realize the salons help the vulnerable and elderly wash thier hair it is not vanity. I am overexhausting myself doing chores that are too much, but had no choice as flies and larvae were in the sink and rubbish. Those who need extra help have been forgotten. People would probably help me out if they knew they were allowed and it wouldn't invalidate thier insurance. There is no guidance and no one to listen. I am not the only one with these questions. I have no access to PPE and no idea how to get it.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @walesrecouperating

Good Afternoon & Welcome I’m very very sorry to read about your current situation/problems.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

You have come to the right place as we are here to “help & support” everyone who needs/requires it.

Here’s some info for you below.

https://www.scope.org.uk/helpline/

https://www.scope.org.uk/campaigns/disabled-people-and-coronavirus/

Hi @Adam_Scope

Can you please offer me some help with this post?????

@steve51

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome I am sorry to hear you are having trouble coping without carers.

I would suggest you contact the GP or adult social services or your local council as they should be providing care for vulnerable people
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @walesrecouperating one of our elderly neighbours had his cleaners in on Monday for the first time in weeks, so looks like that ok, atm the last I heard hairdressers won't be back until mid July but that could change. But as @janer1967 says contact your local social services/council to see what help you can get.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @walesrecouperating and welcome to the community. I hope the suggestions of others will help. Please do let us know how you get on and if it's not successful I will see what else we can do to help. :)

Have you been able to access food and other essentials?
    Scope

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @walesrecouperating - Welcome to the community from me too. I'm sorry to read about your current difficulties, but hope the suggestions given above may help. Your GP's surgery or social services should be able to advise.
    My daughter told me that hairdressers are opening in her area the first week in July. However she couldn't get an appointment for her eldest daughter then as they were fully booked up. They're only allowed one customer at a time in their salon, which limits how many customers they can see. Have you looked into any hairdressers that might visit you at home? My next door neighbour says hers are visiting the last week in June.
    Please do keep in touch, as we all hope you get the help you need, & are here for you at all times. Take care. :)

Brightness