Is there a limit to how far they backdate payments? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there a limit to how far they backdate payments?

Options
Captain
Captain Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited May 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi everybody, My daughter had her pip taken away. She reapplied a while later after her
medical team backed her, she now has the money, backed dated. She has been told, she has an appeal going on. The appeal goes back to 2016, is there a limit to how far they back date payments? 
Thank you.

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Captain and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you and thank you for your question.  I'm sorry, but I'm unsure of back date payments myself and how far they can go back, but maybe if you or your daughter give PIP a call then they might be able to help you with this.  Also another member or one of the Scope Team may know more about this for you and if so will post here.  I hope you find the answer to your question anyway.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Captain
    Captain Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Captain, when your daughter applied for PIP, did she challenge the initial decision?

Or was it a new claim? If it was a new claim then the backdated money would be from the date of the new claim, rather from the initial claim.

I hope this makes sense!
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome as above she will only have the money backdated to the new claim start date. However if you say she has an appeal in place from 2016 if she is successful for this money could be back dated.

I don't really understand how she has a new claim and also an appeal it is usual for people to appeal the decision and wait for this outcome before putting in a new claim.

If you could give more information it could help resolve your query

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.