Disabled people feel frightened and isolated as Britain eases its lockdown – The Times — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled people feel frightened and isolated as Britain eases its lockdown – The Times

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger

Disabled people feel frightened and isolated as Britain eases its lockdown – The Times

This week the government has announced that people with health conditions who have been shielding can now go outside with their household or to meet one other person, writes Amy Kavanagh, landlady of the Staying Inn. 

The news has left many feeling conflicted about the risks the virus still poses. So what does the “new normal” mean for disabled people? 

In the Covid-19 recovery roadmap, the government made a commitment to “ensure people with disabilities can have independent lives and are not marginalised”. 

This feels like a hollow promise. We urgently need to be included in policy discussions and decisions. 

The government should be working with disabled people to find solutions to keep everyone safe. 

For now, as the rest of the UK eases lockdown, disabled people feel isolated, frightened and forgotten.

You can read the full article here.

How are you feeling about the ease of lockdown? Are you welcoming the freedom? Are you worried? Let us know in the comments below!

Scope

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Chloe_Scope Thankyou for sharing this with us.

Personally I am positive and welcome the slight ease on lockdown for shielded people.

I have been out on a short outing which made me feel like I had been liberated

However I do understand others may feel frightened by this but it is their choice whether they continue to shield or not, but agree more guidance from the government or medical profession could be helpful  
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm glad the outings have helped @janer1967! It can get tough without a routine at home. Even a trip into the garden is an adventure at the moment!
    Scope

• Ronni
    Ronni Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    I wish they make their minds up.  Plus they made same promises before lockdown. Many of us still dont have support.our lives are still on hold. We on waiting lists which were on hold. Not like I can get anywhere anyway. 
    I refraining from saying
    what I realy think of there announcement.
    I dont think it fear of getting virus a such more so different places say different things. I'd rather have and social services  support workers,equipment adaptionss, community transport back working. Hospital appointments, medical treatments...... oh proper food shopping would been nice.
    I can outside if want  already meet one person so ain't new. If I go to park or something. Well I'm waiting for chair from wheelchair they on hold. None of support services are returning. How are some of us meant move forward.

Sorry the gripe. It just annoying. And frustrating. We have also been that for treatments such cancer gone elsewhere and people still waitng. Doubt very much finances equipment and stuff
     Wasnt  expecting this till after sorting  essential stuff. I'm forward on other that sorting online. As independent living I'm still here. Many of us got dumped for sure. I dumped long before this but work in process then this happend so still limbo. Theres worse of than likes me. Im used to this. . 
    Sorry @Chloe_Scope but you did ask. Simply. It dont mean anything nothings changed.
  • Ronni
    One thing changed. I joined Scope.??❤ makes a big difference.
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    Its a worrying time, i don't go out alone just out with my wife, my anxiety and depression are troubling me at the moment, and my seizures are more frequent, i think its just the uncertainty that is worrying me, i don't trust this government to do the best for disabled people and the wider population in general, i feel they are a bit rushed in trying to get back to normal
  • Ronni
    With you there @Grinchy. Wish I could send some positive vibes  to you but I'm having a grumpy day.
    Sorry about your health. There is little light in your life yr wife. We spending to much focusing on all the other stuff getting us down. We got this far because of those lights. Enjoy your walks.
  • Chloe_Scope
    It can be a worrying time for everyone, @Ronni you are more than welcome to voice how hard it has been. I'm just sorry you are having a hard time.
    Scope

• Ronni
    @Chloe_Scope thankyou. That's the thing I dont get to talk. Do you theres few places that use minicom they have. Hospital dont know have any on wards.  Relay service is short staffed. Sammaritians have no service. The list is endless.
    Face book has good and bad things in the pg. I found you guys there and ability net that helps on tech advise and support. They on hold at moment but looks promising.  They would send digital tech advisor Someone from here informed hearing dogs for the..... so many unorganised post cant find who it was to thank them. But the do than dogs. Moreno action on hearing dont know work my area. Looks promising. They on hold.
    Found loads of free courses at the OU will be apply once my tech is sorted.  Lots of sale on browsing for kindle fire.  So it all gd since I join Scope 2 or 3 wks done quite a bit. I know I'm moving forward even though there much yet. I'm ignoring most of gov saying  just reading your briefs cos the news to depressing. Doing that I fine. Lot charies closing due to funding not good. Hope Scope is fine. I would not got through the past 3 weeks with out this place. And all help. Been to plug on face book with few people  I have. You do u not have a face book Banner I could put on.
    You dont have online shop so you getting funds your are closed you  need online shop. 
    We need more fund raising ideas.
    The smaritians need a minicom line do they think deaf people dont need them.  I got lucky found scope. All these people wearing masks.  Driving me crazy. You know the saying.
    'It good to talk'  is true.  Thankful for this place got more help in 3 weeks than 15 yrs. So yea I'm good. 

Was grumpy yesterday   because there had been alot of racism over face book past 2 days. And members of charities arguing who is more important.  I was trying to use messenger thing  which is good. It was annoying 2 days. I support both those charities. Want to get of the feeds . I need face book for dummies book.
    Thanks @Chloe_Scope ? Scope
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    I might have felt better about it if I could trust a word of what they are saying. As I said in a previous post, I am less worried about the virus than the British public. Just watching the large crowds, no social isolation, no face masks. Though to be fair I suspect for some they may as well wear a jock strap, it would offer the same amount of protection. What is the point of even wearing one if you are constantly moving it off your mouth and nose?

They have been trying to mislead with figures, set targets they have failed to reach, despite 10 weeks of lock down have no idea where the high number of new cases are coming from. The app which we were told would be a game changer and allow easing is still not available, that I am aware of. They set five tests to begin easing the lockdown, but going ahead despite not meeting them.

Boris Johnson on tv happily trying to rewrite history as it happens. The problems in old people homes and nursing homes was down to temporary staff moving between homes, rather than shifting patients out of hospitals into these homes without even testing them first.

Already we are hearing that with 'hind sight' things could have been done differently, actually with a little foresight they could have done a lot more.

How do I feel about it? For those who have faithfully followed the instructions it is a kick in the lower region.

Personally I am hoping that despite a lack of any foresight or effectiveness in dealing with this that we are not kicked in the teeth next because of a second spike in the virus.

That said, I am glad that for those that have needed it and can do so safely have been able to get out. 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Geoark
    Hi @Ronni and a belated welcome to the community.

I am pleased to hear that you are finding the community helpful. I am working from home at the moment, so I don't get the time to post much and recently been getting angry and frustrated with the government handling of this pandemic. I don't like to post too much negativity on the forum. 

Just to pick up on a couple of things in your post, sorry for the delay in responding had to calm down a little.

Scope shops, like many charity shops, are dependent on donations from the public, rather than buying in stock. They also depend a great deal on their fantastic volunteers, many of whom have disabilities of their own. A business model like this is challenging to put online. 

I know one of the most challenging things for members who are deaf is accessing translation services - changing spoken word to text. I have recently discovered during team meetings on Microsoft Teams it will translate what people are saying into writing, and I have found it reasonably accurate. More so than subtitles on tv programs. However, I discovered this at work where it is used to hold meetings, including several hundred people, so this would be the high-end version of the program. I am hoping to check out the free version at some point. Problem is it restricts the conversation to those who have the software and not sure if it will work on the home version of Microsoft 365, or as a stand-alone program.

I mention it because this is potentially a real game-changer for those with hearing problems. Even if it is being developed for enterprise use only at this time, it has considerable potential for the future. Anyone who has tried using software for changing speech to text will know one of the significant issues is 'teaching' the software to interpret what you are saying. Near real-time subtitling, mobile devices to make conversations much more accessible.

• Ronni
    Hi @Geoark for welcome and info.
    * stop listen to Gov I wait if posted on here in brief. Otherwise I just get confused and anxious. 
    * about negative it's True theres alot. Dos get you down but needs to be said.
    * scope. I get what saying.   But will it every possible to re open alot of charity small places. Perhaps ideas are need as to alternatives.
    * voice to text thank you so for ms software ini will compare there versions to the google live which use on phone videos small or large group.

Ability helps disable and elderly understand tech and digital tech have communications section. The offer one support if someone is  my area they advise on all assistances tech they might has lots of in but they hold like alot of things. So I will at sift u mentioned and google version because Microsoft in mobiles is not compatible with text realy service for deaf is android, lollipop milkshake. I'm not familiar old school. So looking up it seems it apple Samsung kindle fire phones. I'm try compare them and pricing because none are included in essential of equipment adaptions. Sensory adaptions no longer minicom. 
    Had a lot help from here in my search for many past 3 week had help here than I have in past five years. 
    Thanks again. I'm extremely  grateful.
    We spend too much time focused on the  negative we will miss the positive things.

• Ronni
    I'm not going to write alot here because it might be fake. It's going around about Italy the Un and the virus. It realy not. I stop reading. Can any confirm it fake or whatever.thanks. face book. Realy bugging me.
  • Ronni
    Ok think  it fake since it only on face.book.  But the WHO Organisation and the face mask thing.  On BBC
     We knew that anyway. Arnt they supposed to be the best. They late with. Been avoiding reading the news for a while first time in ages
    . Isnt there reasonably brief updates. Of things we realy need to know. So we can the rest. 
    Like @Chloe_Scope informed us we can go out . Could find that post. Brief news is best. To much news.... is too much.
    Reading at 1 am doesny help.
  • Geoark
    Hi @Ronni as chair of a small non-profit organisation which employ staff and provide services in peoples home I don't have the luxury of ignoring what is on the news. Nor is it helped that announcements are suddenly made with little or no warning. While the government says something can happen, we then have to make sure it can happen with the health and safety of our staff, contractors and users. Yes, we can send someone into a residents' homes with masks, that stops them from spreading the virus if they have it, it does not necessarily protect them from the virus if a resident has it.

Sadly I look at the news and see thousands out protesting over black lives matter, something I 100% agree with, but would go beyond this, all lives matter. Considering the recent news on how disproportionate the number of black and minority ethnic groups have died because of this virus all I can do is hope that not too many lives are lost because of it.

To be fair to WHO the main change has come in the use of non-medical fabric masks. But again, this is to help stop those infected from spreading it, it does not protect you from catching it. Which means if those at the protests think they are protected by wearing a mask are wrong.

I hope you are doing well today.

• Ronni
    Thankyou  @Geoark
    That's what I wanted confirm it just wasnt clear.

With Black Lives. The Governement has ignored a d abandoned many people for long time. I support the protestors. 
    When you look from inside out, or from the outside in, you going have two different views. Both are right.  Some just csnt see whole picture. Every life SHOULD matter and have to work together to achieve that peacefully . Was this right time. I did hear many ethnic minorities got virus.  They saying it's because of poverty and health. But I think also your find many were in the frontlineservices

Here's to better times. Hopefully they far away.
  • trish444
    trish444 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    I have been fairly independent however being stuff in a house with my husband has I feel increased my ability to look after myself my husband has reorganised stuff to the degree I cant get to them he thinks he is helping he did the same with his late brother who had cereble  palsy I have MS

• Ronni
    @trish444
    Sometimes people dont iit quite right. As to when to step in and when to step away.
    When we have pa we discuss this
     But sometimes when its family it different.

With my mother. I thought did I miss the memo or meeting. She means well talking with various people on my behalf whilst I'm in the room. The wont talk directly to me. I'm deaf. So they forget I'm there and just talk amongst themselves. 
    Mom does because she always did, it just her she cares. Others just dont want to write, or spend ages repeating themselves.
    It will take age to do things and they hate waiting so will just jump in and do it.
    On my own I live life my way... (try). But when people take that last bit independently away it becomes frustrating. Alot of my cares in that move things around put of reach it was annoying.
    Perhaps you just need to sit down with him.

Mind you I tried that either on several occasions. Didnt turn out well. I didnt want to hurt her feelings. I was trying not rely on her so much. Do the things I can and have someone else do the other.

Then we could just get together and about other things rather than support etc.
    Alot ofamilies are struggling through this time. Having to cate for some full time without support. I think would benefit from stepping back.

Our files my say I cant do this or that... but truth I can do many things... just not nor you want me to. In the time you want. So if you figure this out the supporter  would have some for themselves. While the others retain some independence.  And control over own lives. They own environment.

He cant read your mind. Show him where you want the stuff.

Is it possible he wasnt around as much before.... apparently lot of couples are finding spending all their time together a little annoying.
    Hope you manage to sort it.
  • trish444
    trish444 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    hi ronni
    my husband used to work away yes I have tried to discuss it but I would be better talking to a brick wall I do some charity work and he aint alone he has now discovered that his pension pot has decreased by 15 percent welcome to my world 

Brightness