My son has ASD and is very high functioning, I worry what his future will look like — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son has ASD and is very high functioning, I worry what his future will look like

Satsuma01
Satsuma01 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2020 in Autism and neurodiversity
My Son is Asd (Aspergers) he is not statmented as he is very high functioning, but he has terrible anxiety often resulting him being sick ,he is 15, I can't find anyone to help him to chat about it and I worry what his future will look like 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Satsuma01 - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining & saying a little about your son. I have found some information which I hope may be helpful. Please see: https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help/for-parents/parents-guide-to-support-a-z/parents-guide-to-support-anxiety/   It might also be worthwhile having a look around the site as well.
    Others may have different resources for you.
    Please have a look around this forum, & join in discussions should you wish, as well as chatting here.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Satsuma01. Does your son get any additional support at school? My daughter isn't statemented either and doesn't have an official diagnosis but the school have made some adjustments which help ease some of her anxieties. They also have helped link her with a counsellor and put in some other support for her. 
    Are you in contact with his school's SENCO at all?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Satsuma01 and a warm welcome to the community, how are you getting on at the moment? :)
    Scope

• Merclondon
    Merclondon Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Hi my son is 17 and the same , I spend so much of my time worrying about his future especially when I’m no longer around , like u I don’t know who can help 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Satsuma01 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I'm sorry to hear about your son's anxiety and I can imagine that this must be very worrying for you.  I hope you have found the above information/advice given by members above to be helpful and you will have already seen that we have some members who also have children with Autism and Aspergers so you may find it helpful to chat to them for support also.  We are all here for you on the forum anyway so please chat to us anytime, as there will always be someone on here to listen.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are both getting on and if we can be of any help/support to you then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Rhodie72
    Rhodie72 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Hey there, I knew there was something "different" about me for most of my life and in 2018 after years of my late wife begging me to "to be seen to" I finally started the process of being assessed for ASD. In Feb 2020 I was finally given a positive diagnosis and it was sted. With that I had the medical evidence to back up my condition and make claims for whatever benefits were available. This written evidence is important for government departmental recognition of any issues the must have due regard for. I would suggest that getting your son assessed is going to be far more helpful now than when he is an adult as adult services are very thin on the ground.

With the diaagnosis comes benefits of personal recognition and also highlights specificities of his particular issues.

"If you've met one person with autism then you've met one person with autism."
    The adjustments that can be made for him are substantial for employment but without understanding the full extent of his condition you may not recognise that there amy be another juxtaposed condition since Asperger's seldom is a standalone condition. Often there is ADHD oranother alonside it.

The diagnosis may also help you find reognition and more support than without it, in my experience.

Hope this helps.

A.
    Dream big, plan well, achieve goals, live the dream.

• fairybellsxo
    fairybellsxo Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    Hello!

I understand from a parent point of view this kind of thing can be very worrying! I have Asperger's and I believe myself to be quite high functioning, I have issues with my anxiety/social anxiety reading between the lines! each day is a struggle but my parents have always just encouraged me to be ' myself ' and that in itself has helped me along the way, I only discovered my autism at the age of 25.

I have held down many jobs since the age of 18, It's a struggle but I did it! I have many hobbies and specific interests, I have been in successful relationships and can hold down friendships too :) the future will be bright and beautiful for them in a different way, but I can honestly say I am managing and my life is wonderful, you just learn ways to cope and work around your weaknesses :) just like everybody else does.

I have come to find everybody in the world has struggles and everybody has strengths :) He will live a happy life just as soon as he figures himself out and speaking from experience it can take a little longer than everyone else but you get there eventually.

I hope this gives you hope :) 

• zebastian
    zebastian Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    A difficult road ahead. I was completely fear-ridden at age 15 and couldnt continue with school. Sometimes it can be made to work and sometimes not. Aspies take longer to mature but this is not reflected in education/society. Patience, patience and more patience is needed.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Satsuma01 and a warm welcome to the community! I just wanted to check in to see how things are going. :)
    Scope

• Franko17
    Franko17 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi :)
    I have a son with additional needs and have also worried about his future, getting the right support in later life etc.
    I work at a local college as a Learning Support Assistant for students with additional needs and this has reassured me hugely in my sons future. The students are all very accepting and aware of each others needs. They know each others boundaries, they know the triggers and they accept and respect that they are all unique. I just wanted to reassure you that there is help out there as they progress on to higher education.
    I would suggest applying for an EHC plan for your child. This plan will be in place until your child is 25 and will make it compulsory for them to receive free education up until this age. You can find more info on this under the disability section on your local council's website. I was unaware of this until I began working at the College and have just started the application process for my own son.
    I hope this helps!
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Franko17 - firstly, welcome to the community, & thank you for joining; secondly, thank you for your insightful first post. Unfortunately this is a slightly older thread, & may not be seen. It would be great if you would try introducing yourself with a post in our 'Welcomes & introductions' section, perhaps mentioning your work in this field helping students with additional needs, etc. You sound like you will be a very supportive, & helpful member of our community. :)

Brightness