Lost disability premium PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lost disability premium PIP

Hannah2610
Hannah2610 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
edited June 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everybody, my name is Hannah, I hope all are well.
I have epilepsy, unfortunately it has quite a big impact on my ability to take in lots of information. I also have uncontrollable seizures.
I was on income support as I have a little girl, when she turned 5 I went onto universal credit.
When I applied, I was waiting for my PIP decision to be renewed, so I was placed on universal credit. PIP has been awarded, standard care and enhanced mobility.
i spoke to DWP to see if this had any impact on my universal credit, no. And they said I cannot apply for ESA as I haven’t worked in the last two years.
So now I do not receive a severe disability premium. It is a considerable drop in income.
Is there anything I can do about this? Has anyone been in the same position?
Its hard for me to deal with DWP, because I have issues with my brain :/ it doesn’t always work properly.

sorry if I haven’t made much sense, and thank you to anyone who can help in any way x

Comments

• Hannah2610
    Makes perfect sense to me. If you were getting SDP then you should never have been allowed to transfer to UC. There are ways out for some people and compensation for others. It’s a complex area so get so<e advice from a local advice service ASAP. 
    Thank you so much for this :) I am a little out of my depth with things like this. I thought I would have help from the DWP, but they haven’t been helpful at all. They just suggested I wasn’t entitled anymore. I will make sure I get some advice ASAP. I really wasn’t sure what to do, if I was in fact still entitled, so thank you :) now I can look for help x
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi@Hannah2610.  So sorry to hear about you loosing your SDP when it looks like you shouldn’t have, I hope you get the help you need to get it sorted. Good luck ?
  • Hannah2610
    Thank you! I called an SDP team today (found the number on google!), they have said I am entitled to an additional payment from starting universal credit as I was in receipt of the SDP within a month of claiming. So someone is dealing with it to see if I am eligible (not sure why I wouldn’t be :/ ) , that the decision may take a while and just wait to see something written in my journal about it.
    its a bit confusing, because once I am off the phone I have forgotten half of what has been said, taking in information, I read it several times, I often end up in a muddle because of this an it can get a bit upsetting :/ thank you guys.xxx
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi@Hannah2610, oh so glad someone is looking into it for you fingers crossed they get it sorted for you soon, I’m the same on the phone with remembering everything at least in a letter we can go over it, take care Hannah xx
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Hannah2610. I'm glad you've managed to speak to the SDP team and they're looking into you receiving the special element on Universal Credit. 
    Hopefully it won't take them too long to check your claim and pay you what you're owed. Please keep us updated. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Hannah2610 Welcome to the community, Its great to have you on board. I am pleased you have managed to get your SDP payments sorted and hopefully it wont be too long a wait.

I look forward to seeing you around

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.