To complain or not to complain? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

To complain or not to complain?

CJ61
CJ61 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
After winning my tribunal appeal for PIPS I have given a lot of thought to how unfairly I've been treated. I'm sure I'm not alone in that. As much as I blame the DWP for stopping the award last year I've come to realise that they are not totally at fault. They employ assessors and take them at their word. My assessor blatantly flat out lied on my report and actually made things up. Reading people's posts this doesn't seem to be a rare occurrence and I think it should stop. 
Do I make a formal complaint? Will that just cause trouble for me make things more difficult for me? It was of course the company ATOS. Having no support system I was interviewed in my home on my own so it was her word against mine as it were. Would appreciate people thoughts on this. Thank you.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @CJ61, how are you tonight? I suppose it depends on a number of things, are you happy with the award made by the tribunal? and what would you expect to gain from a complaint, personally I would complain as too many people don't, but at the end of the day it can only be your decision.
    If you do complain we would be interested to know how you get on.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• CJ61
    CJ61 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    @woodbine Thank you for your reply. I'm satisfied with the result of the tribunal. I was awarded what was wrongly stopped so no complaints there. What I am so angry about is the Stress and Trauma it has caused me as it was unnecessary and probably wouldn't have happened if the assessor hadn't lied on my report. My main issue is that in the interim I have contracted quite severe Fibromyalgia  which is really seriously impacting my life such it is. I have read up on the condition and apparently not much is known about it but it is thought it can be triggered by extreme stress or trauma. It began a few weeks after the initial 'how your illness affects you' form arrived and I went through hell just to get a home visit. Too much of a coincidence to ignore I think. I really think ATOS et al should be held to account for the misery they cause and the harm they do. I am just so scared that if I stand up to be counted that it will blow up in my face and they single me out in the future. Im very conflicted.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @CJ61 I understand your anger and frustration especially if you think the additional stress has made your condition worse.

I thuink you need to have s think about the additional stress putting in a complaint may bring and what you would gain frim the complaint and if is is worth your while

I totally agree that something needs to be done to highlight these issues and if nobody complains then it will continue but from reading other peoples posts nobody ever seems to get anywhere with their complaints about assessors.

It may be worth contacting your local MP to highlight the issue

If it is something that is playing on your mind then maybe it is in your interests to complain but only you can decide
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    Afternoon @CJ61, how are you today? I wouldn't be too worried about the DWP singling you out if you complain about Atos, they are two separate entities. Perhaps you could write down your complaint then see how it reads back, maybe you could contact your MP see if he/she will get involved?
    Whatever you decide I wish you luck.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.