Carer’s credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carer’s credit

Options
poorchester
poorchester Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello. I wonder if anyone has experience of claiming Carer’s credit?

I took early retirement 2 years ago. One of the main reasons for this was to provide more support to our adult son. He has learning difficulties and lives - with much support - independently in a council flat near to our home.

I have discovered that I may be entitled to Carer’s credit and have downloaded the application form. My question is - do I have to account for the amount of time I spend providing care? The form asks for the number of hours of care I provide and there is a ‘further information’ page. Do I give details on this or will DWP get back to me for further info?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @poorchester and welcome to the community! Just to clarify, do you mean Carer's Allowance?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poorchester
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for your response.
    No not Carer’s Allowance but Carer’s credit which gives National Insurance credits if one does 20 or more hours of care per week.
    Having googled Carers Credit and found very few responses I guess it is something that few people claim/know about as most will claim Carers Allowance.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @poorchester Welcome t the community great to have you on board. I am sorry I don't know anything about carers credit.

Does the form not give instructions on how to complete, if you are unsure is there a number on the form you can ring for advice or maybe contact CAB
  • poorchester
    Options
    Thank you. Yes I may have to ring DWP - was hoping I didn’t have to waste half a day waiting for them to answer!!
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi @poorchester

A very warm welcome.

You are absolutely correct about Carers Credit, if you care for someone for 20 hours, you are entitled to NI Credit towards your State pension.

You can do it on-line, or request an application form from this helpline tel:0800 731 0297.

You should also ask about being back dated to when you started to care for your son.

You can go back to the start of the previous Tax Year, that would take you back to April 20019.

Have you sought a State pension forecast, as there was a significant change in 2018, in qualifying years for state pension, which reduce these from 40 to 30 years.

The State pension forecast helpline is tel:0800 731 0175.

Let us know, if you need any further assistance.

Stay kind and be safe.

Best wishes
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @atlas47 you need 35 years cont. to get a full state pension, anything between 10-35 years gets you a reduced SRP, this is the new unified SRP.@poorchester heres the GOV. info on carers credit:
    https://www.gov.uk/carers-credit
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poorchester
    Options
    Thanks all for your assistance
    I’ve got 31 years of NI contributions so a few extra years would come in handy.
    I will send the form off without adding any additional information and see what happens.

Brightness