Teenage son who's depressed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Teenage son who's depressed

lizzymum
lizzymum Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Has anyone got any ideas to help my teenage son who is depressed? He’s 17, finished college until September and doesn’t want to do anything, speak to friends or talk to his counseller (online)- he’s really down and just wants to sleep. He has had very little social contact except online and even that’s reduced to pretty much nothing. He says he can’t bear the thought of being in a wheelchair for the rest of his life and feels pretty hopeless. 

Comments

• caitswildecake
    caitswildecake Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Hi lizzy, I’m Caitlin and I’m 19. I’m a wheelchair user too. I can walk but not very far, I’d be happy to talk to him since we’re similar in age. I know the worry some feeling of potentially being wheelchair bound for life. My mums my carer and I hate having to ask her to do everything but I still love her for it. Being a teenager and having a wheelchair isnt easy. I’ve been exploited by “friends” for my disability privileges such as skipping queues at theme parks, better seating at theatres and cheaper tickets etc. I could probably relate to him a lot if it helps. 
  • lizzymum
    Thanks  and I will tell my son everything you said, I appreciate the offer.
  • lizzymum
    He says thanks but right now he does not want to talk but I hope when he’s feeling a bit better he might join the forum and contact you. But thank you so much for answering I was feeling pretty worried about him and your answer has helped get him talking some more. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lizzymum Welcome to the community I am glad you have got a little way with your son and try and encourage him to communicate more. I agree getting him to come on here could be a good help. Maybe he isn't ready to join himself yet but he could use your account and read some of the posts an he maybe more open to the forum.

He doesnt have to reply but reading some posts may help 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lizzymum, sorry your son has been struggling. Just wanted to check in with you both.
    Scope

Brightness