New to Wheelchair, work needs? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New to Wheelchair, work needs?

KernowGirl
KernowGirl Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello,
I'm new here and also new to a wheelchair. I work in a global company, with millions of employees across the globe. 
During my shielding my degenerative spinal and brain condition had deteriorated, and now I have a wheelchair, not fultime, but that will come. I know, as my neurosurgeon has told me, I will be paralyzed at some point.
What I want to know, is what my job needs to do to help. I've been there 2 years, and love my work. However, or desk is as high as a bar counter, so there's no way it's be able to work on our computer. Some of our job, very little but some, includes lifting dollies and putting items away, checking off orders that come in stacked 8 trays high.
Do I have to start looking for another job, do they hand to change things, can I be moved to a different department?
Thank you
KernowGirl xxxxxx 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KernowGirl and a very warm welcome to the community! Great to have you with us. :)

How are you finding a wheelchair? I know it can be quite an adjustment.

I'm glad you have been enjoying your job, there are a number of things which could help. I will list them below:
    We're a friendly bunch so feel free to ask any questions and let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• KernowGirl
    @Chloe_Scope tbh, atm I’m avoiding my wheelchair. I know I shouldn’t, and I know I should not push myself, as when I do I have more seizures and more pain. Thanks spine, brain, epilepsy, fibro and nerve damage! Lol. I’m a stubborn mule, and keep telling myself that there are a lot of people worse off than me, so dig my heals in even more. 
    Xx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I have to admit, I too would do anything to not use my chair @KernowGirl

Stubborn or determined?  ;)

It took me a while to realise that I could use my chair to enable me to do more. It was certainly a process, but I hope you find it easier as time goes on. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KernowGirl In response to your question, your employer should make reasonable adjustments for your changed condition if it is practical for them to do so, this could include adapted work equipment, change of hours, change of role more suitable to you and change to work environment to name a few.

You should start by asking to be referred to your Occupational Health service for an assessment and they will work with you and your employers to suggest suitable workarounds.

Your employer has to look at these suggestions under Equality Act however they only have to act on them if it is practical eg does not put disruption or high cost to the business.

You can also discuss this with your HR department and ask for the company policy on reasonable adjustments.

Sometimes the cost of any equipment can be subsidised by Access to Work
  • KernowGirl
    Thank you @janer1967 that does help me a lot. ?
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, I just want to add my own experience of going from fully able bodied to lower have being paraplegic.

22 years ago, I began tripping up..over fresh air!
    These trips became falls...full length...and daily. I persisted and hurt myself more and more.
    Going out was knackering and joyless. I`d return come and go straight to bed. I was miserable.

Then I discovered wheelchairs. After finding the right one...I began to live again...enjoy outings.....I wasn't half as fatigued.

Ok, life on wheels isn't ideal....but it is SOOOO much better than dragging your body round and risking life and limb!

Brightness