First claim for any benefit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

First claim for any benefit

Options
dee2020
dee2020 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
This is very first claim for any benefit and appreciate any advice as I find all these papers daunting.

I've worked all my life and have my first long term sick period. I've now moved into SSP which ends in 6 weeks. I'm completing a ESA contribution based
claim form and a capability for work form.

Why does my husband's income need to be given as I thought the claim was for me? He is working 39 hours a week and gets a small company pension so is that taken into account?

I have a industrial injury payment of £31 week will this impact?

I have a company pension of £80.50 week will this impact?

I would appreciate any help or information

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @dee2020

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I have got a good friend on here who will be able to help you with your benefits.

Hi @Adrian_Scope
    Can you please offer me some help with this post??

Many thanks.

@steve51

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @dee2020 - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. To only partially answer your question, when claiming ESA, then your occupational pension of less than £85 per week would be disregarded. I'm sure Adrian will advise further tomorrow. :)
  • dee2020
    Options
    Thankyou for that information. So my husband's pension is less than mine a week will that also be disregarded? Thanks Dee
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @dee2020 - I don't think with New Style ESA that your husband's income is taken into account, nor your Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit from what I can find. Adrian will know more, which was why I didn't respond further. :)
  • dee2020
    Options
    Thanks I will wait and see what Adrian says. 

I'm new to claiming so it's really hard to get your head round it all.
    Dee
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,971 Scope online community team
    Options
    Thank you for the tag @chiarieds and sorry I haven't responded sooner @dee2020. It's been a very busy few days.

As Chiarieds mentioned, with NS ESA your husband's income is ignored as it is contribution based. 

I'm not 100% certain regarding the industrial injury payment and have asked one of our experts. I'll get back to you as soon as they've responded. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • dee2020
    Options
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,971 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @dee2020
    I've been told to let you know that the IIDB payment should not affect your claim for NS ESA at all and as Chiarieds mentioned, because your pension is under £85 a week that won't have an impact either. :) Hope that helps!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • dee2020
    Options
    Thankyou for all your help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.