LHA 1 Bed Rate After PIP win — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LHA 1 Bed Rate After PIP win

OverlyAnxious
OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
Hi,

I just wondered if anyone else had issues with the council not raising the LHA cap after a PIP win recently?   I fully appreciate the staffing issues currently so if it's just a case of waiting then that's ok, but I don't know if it is that and feel like I'm just being ignored atm.

They automatically added SDP to my list of 'income' when checking the website, long before I'd even received confirmation of SDP so the electronic systems must be working quickly between DWP & Council.

I won the PIP award about a month ago, and SDP around 10 days later, but still no change to the LHA amount.

I've tried emailing two different housing departments within the council but neither have responded and it's now been 10 & 6 working days respectively.

There is a phone number listed next to one of the email contacts but I really struggle with phones and don't think it's free either as it starts with 03.

Is there any reason that I wouldn't eligible for the 1 bed rate?  I did have slightly too much in savings when I first started ESA so lose a pound a week.  The amount had dropped since but it was too much hassle trying to change it for the sake of a pound.  Does savings affect the HB LHA cap at all?  I've also now got all the PIP & SDP backpay which I know gets disregarded for ESA but may affect housing?

Thanks

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Afternoon just to say that 03 numbers are landline.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• OverlyAnxious
    woodbine said:
    Afternoon just to say that 03 numbers are landline.
    Yeah, I think they're charged at 'local' rate from Googling now, but don't know what the cost actually is nowadays.  

I've been on my current Broadband & phone contract for 17 months and never once made a call to anything other than the 0800 PIP line so far.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    If you have inclusive minutes on your mobile then 03 numbers use those minutes and they will effectively "free"
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• alieshia
    alieshia Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    @OverlyAnxious 03 numbers cost up to 9p per minute from a landline and between 3p and 55p from a mobile unless you get inclusive minutes then they are free. https://www.gov.uk/call-charges
  • OverlyAnxious
    Thanks all,

I just have a PAYG mobile as I never use calls or texts, just use a little data with the BP app to buy diesel without having to go into the kiosk and talk to a person.  Looks like calls cost 3p a minute, but not sure if there's a connection fee.

It's taken some digging to find the landline charges but it looks like 16p a minute, plus a 23p connection fee!!!! :o  I always thought mobiles cost more than landlines lol.

I'm actually in the process of changing provider, upgrading to superfast BB next month, so just checked their call costs, and it looks like 11.5p per minute, plus 19p connection charge.  So it'll still be MUCH cheaper to use the mobile if I ever have to again.

Thanks for the confirmation regarding LHA & savings @Hart86 :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    Apparently it's my forum anniversary today!  Thought I better celebrate that by trying to call the council lol...

They didn't seem overly confident that PIP would change the LHA rate due to my age, but said they'd look into it over the next week or two.  Hopefully they manage to sort it without any more hassle.

Oh, and there's no connection fee on an O2 mobile it seems, call lasted 9 minutes and cost 27p.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope they are able to get to get back to you quickly @OverlyAnxious! Please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Amazing news @OverlyAnxious!!! So happy for you!! I really hope things go smoothly now. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news so glad everything is sorted for you and you can relax and think about what you can spend all that back dated money on 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm glad you managed to call them and that this has now been sorted @OverlyAnxious. It's been a long time coming and I'm really pleased for you. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.