PIP Appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Appeal

Options
sheZZa
sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
Today I have received a letter with a time and a date for my appeal. It will take place by telephone as part of their response to Covid-19. My son has also been sent the same letter and we are puzzled as to why? Could anyone possibly explain this please? 
Also I am worried sick (as everyone is) about this as I was having support and advice from the CAB but obviously this isn’t going to happen now due to Covid-19. I have two weeks to prepare myself for this. Panicking already. TIA

Comments

• sheZZa
    Options
    They have also said to have my papers ready. What do they mean by that? Xx
  • sheZZa
    Options
    Also the letter is headed New Claim Appeals. It was not a new claim but a review and this is an appeal for the review as first time I was awarded everything. Is there a difference between a review appeal and a new claim appeal? 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sheZZa

From what I've read on here, they do treat PIP reviews as a new claim each time so I wouldn't worry about that heading. 

The papers is the appeal bundle that the DWP send you in a massive brown envelope, it includes copies of all the forms, assessments and evidence that you've sent to them this time.  You may need to refer back to them during the hearing.

I'm not sure why your son has also got the same letter, why would they have his details?  Is he your appointee or anything like that?

Lastly, I think the CAB are still offering help and advice via email, webchat and telephone if that's any help to you, it's just face to face they can't do at the moment.
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Options
    hi i think it will be treated as a new claim?
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious
    my son isn’t my appointee but he did attend the assessment with me. He does look after me, keep an eye on bank account etc. I think I will phone them tomorrow as I’m not sure they have my mobile phone number.
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Options
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious
    I have double checked all my files/paperwork  and I do not have an appeal bundle of papers. I do not recall receiving them either.
    what a mess..!
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @Username_removed
    okay. I was going to contact them tomorrow and request the bundle anyway. Is it usual to request a postponement? I’m wondering whether or not it would be better to get it over and done with.
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @Username_removed
    i definitely haven’t received one. I will phone first thing in the morning and request one. This has been a right shambles. DWP Support Worker completed my claim form without enough evidence on it. I didn’t receive a letter detailing my award and had to chase it. The assessor lied (nothing unusual there) I’ve been given incorrect advice from CAB. I haven’t received a bundle of documents from the Court. I now have to send some more evidence tomorrow but don’t know if it will get there on time. I don’t know why I’m bothering really. But thank you for your help though.
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @Username_removed
    I’ve spoken to the Courts and Tribunals Service this morning and they are going to send me the bundle of documents. She also said that I can submit some more evidence but it has to arrive within the next few days but I can email them and mark them as urgent if I so choose and she has given me the email address. So fingers crossed it will all work out in the end.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @sheZZa Glad you've got a bundle on the way now, good luck with the tribunal!  :)
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @Username_removed
    The whole thing has been a shambles from start to finish. I don’t know where I would get a representative from especially with this virus. My son will be with me as he has received the same letter which I suppose it’s because he is my unofficial carer.
  • sheZZa
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.