Tribunal win: when will I get my first payment and when are payments backdated until? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal win: when will I get my first payment and when are payments backdated until?

marie2020
marie2020 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
edited June 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I've just recently won my appeal for pip at my tribunal ....however can anyone please tell me how long it will take be for my 1st payment goes into my bank account .... I won my appeal on the 22nd may 2020 ...I haven't received any letter yet either ....any one know when I might receive my letter 
I've also been told by a friend I will get backdated payments from the date I made my claim....how true is this?

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You'll get a letter soon confirming both of those things so keep an eye out for that, post can be slow at the moment! 

PIP is paid every 4 weeks so your first payment will be towards the end of June.  

The backpay is likely to be sooner, mine was just under 2 weeks after the tribunal.  The letter will also state how much backpay you'll get, it is backdated to the start of claim as you suggest.
  • marie2020
    Thankyou very much for telling me so clearly ??
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    congratulations :)
  • marie2020
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    HI @marie2020 Welcome to the community, I don't want to rain on your parade but payments can sometimes take up to 8 weeks or longer to commence it just depends on how busy DWP are at the time and in current circumstances with reduced staffing you may have to wait bit longer.

There is no fixed time but as mentioned you will have your money backdated to the date you applied and often you get this money before you even get you letter

I hope you are not waiting too long
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,623 Disability Gamechanger
    @marie2020 Aww great to hear your news well done ?
  • helentaylor
    helentaylor Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    @marie2020 well done. what questions did they ask on the phone? did they tell you over the phone you have won your claim? or did they say you will be notified in the post? 
  • marie2020
    Hi ....they asked things like
    How far I can walk
    How many times roughly do I pass out
    How often does my mental illness affect me and how it affects me
    Asked how much help I need getting dressed etc
    The call lasted about 35 mins then they rang back after aboutv15 mins to tell me if won my appeal....I received my letter this morning now it's just a matter of waiting on the backdated money x
  • marie2020
    Hi all so I'm a little worried and confused ....I've phoned pip today 
    AND the man I spoke to says the appeal is in the case workers hands...and it's up to him to accept or contest it...I don't understand what this means has i got my letter from tribunal confirming I'd won my appeal it also states what rate I'm entitled to and that I'm entitled from Sept 2019 
    Anyone help please 
  • marie2020
    I understand they have their hands full it's just the man I spoke with wasn't very clear that's all....I know these things take time ...It's Just I like to know where I am with things thats all....?
  • Lou67
    @marie2020. Hi I just wanted to say hello, I understand fully how your feeling, I went through an appeal in 2018 I kept phoning to see what was happening the wrong date of when I was to be paid back pay from  was put on letter to DWP so they had to send it back to the tribunal to be changed ?‍♀️ but saying that it was 4 weeks and I had my backpay, then my monthly payment followed, hopefully you won’t have to long to wait now, take care?
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    hi @Lou67, great advice, ill post a little later, hope you are all set and ready for the off!! best wishes  :)
  • marie2020
    @Lou67 thankyou hun...I Just got worried and confused that's all....I get confused alot and worry over silly things all the time 
  • Lou67
    Hi@katho31 Thanks just about sorted I’m shattered ? al speak to you later ?
  • Lou67
    @marie2020. Oh it’s a big worry getting through the pip process, I’m hope you will hear in next cpl weeks or sooner hopefully, let us no how you get on take care ?
  • marie2020
    @Lou67thanks hun I'll be sure to let you know 
    It will be 4 weeks this coming Friday I won my appeal at the tribunal and I got my decision letter from the tribunal about a week after winning 
  • Lou67
    @marie2020. Just keep checking the bank ?
  • marie2020
    @Lou67 I will thankyou...the man I spoke with this morning did say thoe that no payments had been issued as of yet ..but also said they can issue them at anytime of day
  • Lou67
    Yeah that’s right could go in anytime.
  • marie2020
    @Username_removed thankyou for making it abit clearer for me ....very much appreciated 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.