Weigh gain on meds and unable to shift it — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Weigh gain on meds and unable to shift it

Options
dannidixon2017
dannidixon2017 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I take Depakote and quietapine and can’t lose weight I am no confiden to go to gym not even a all female and lack the motivation even though it consumes me thoughts everyday just can’t  seem to do it dnt know why help plz I need loads help any help even find a gym buddie if that’s such a thing would be excellent 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this with us @dannidixon2017, and I'm so sorry to hear you've been feeling low. I'm tagging in @KirstenNutritionAdvisor in case there's anything she can suggest. 

I've just been looking into this and it looks like there are many people who feel the same way you do right now: you can see some of their stories and advice from an online search here. I wonder if it would be worth talking to your local gym about how you're feeling, to see if they can advise? Some gyms may offer buddy schemes or personal training taster sessions as a way of helping people feel more comfortable. Really hope you find something that works for you!
  • tedd13ies
    tedd13ies Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I am on lots of medication for my health, mainly methatrexate and thyroxine and a steroid. My weight has bloomed up. I am feeling down about my weight I can't seem to move it at all. I can't exercise very well because of back pain and weakness in my legs. Please help. 
  • lucy14
    lucy14 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Options
    Hi there
    You could try Weight Watchers, now known as WW, If you didn't feel upto attending meetings you can join as an online member, there are lots of tips to get you moving and help with motivation.
    There is plenty of online support including some brilliant facebook groups, you could even start a support thread on here.
    A healthy eating plan can also do wonders to lift your mood.
    Good luck..xx
  • calamity
    calamity Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight due to medication and skipping meals and then eating the wrong thing. I joined slimming world and realised that by eating 3 meals a day not skipping it. I lost a stone I am still loosing weight it take a little longer because of the medication I am on but worth it, it's do easy and normal food it's a.life style.
  • cjbraiden
    cjbraiden Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
    Options
    I too suffer from weight gain, It's my medication for sure. My weight has got out of control. I'm twice the weight  I should be. I've been on tranquillisers for most of my life.
  • cjbraiden
    cjbraiden Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
    Options
    My left knee isn't so good so I find exercise difficult. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Have you tried out Adaptive Yoga at all @cjbraiden?
    It might also be worth trying out the videos from Gym Possible or having a read of Zero Assistance Resistance Training.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi all 

Thought I would jump on the band waggon. I have too gained weight due to meds and also be wheelchair user full time.

Can anyone suggest some exercises I can do sat down either in wheelchair or a chair/bed. I can move everything I have below knee amputation and unable to use prosthetic

Any advice websites would be appreciated
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @janer1967. You can find some suggestions for exercises you can do sat down on the NHS' page on sitting exercises. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks @Adrian_Scope will take a look 

Brightness