Hi, my name is DeliveryMoogle! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is DeliveryMoogle!

DeliveryMoogle
DeliveryMoogle Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi everyone, I joined Scope after seeing an advertisement for it online. I am an American living in the UK on a spouse visa, its been a difficult transition for me, especially during these lockdown times. I am currently studying Child and Adolescent Psychology and I enjoy playing video games, reading all kinds of books, and being in nature. I hope you all have a beautiful day  <3

Comments

• M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    Hello @DeliveryMoogle

Welcome to the community forum!

You will find a friendly and supportive group of people here, we have a variety of different discussion groups covering all aspects of disability. We also have a coffee lounge for talking about hobbies and interests, along with general chat.

While it will time to settle in, especially when coming into a new country, you will get there. The good thing is the lockdown is finally starting to ease up.

I would like to go aboard myself to the USA or Canada on a work visa at some point in the future for the charity sector. Are you studying for a degree in the UK?

We have a great book recommendation thread here you may want to look at and post recommendations:
    https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/69447/share-your-favourite-books#latest

I also play games mostly PC strategy, retro and sports. What are your favourites?
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hello @DeliveryMoogle welcome to the community. I’m Emma, one of the Community Champions who are here to help and advise. Please let me know if I can assist you with anything or if you have any questions.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hey @DeliveryMoogle and welcome to our little community. How're you getting on today?
    I can only imagine how tough that transition would have been. Has your spouse been at home with you throughout lockdown?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Denise11
    Denise11 Community member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    Hi  It's nice to meet you.  I hope when things get back to better times you will enjoy living here!  Compared to the US, do you feel that the UK is better or worse for disabled people?

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DeliveryMoogle

Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

@steve51
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2020
    Hi @DeliveryMoogle - Welcome to this great community from me too. I'm glad you found Scope, & decided to join. It's great to meet another bookworm, & your studies sound interesting, what are you hoping to do? I worked as a physio a long time ago, & there was a husband & wife team who were clinical psychologists who worked with 'troubled' adolescents. I really liked the talks we had, & the insight they gave me. I hope you enjoy being part of this friendly community, as well as living here in the UK. Where did you live in the USA?  :)
  • DeliveryMoogle
    DeliveryMoogle Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    @M_Anthony Hi Anthony, Nice to meet you, thank you for your reply. I am not studying at a UK university I actually take classes online through my US university. I am hoping to get my masters in the UK, possibly after I get Indefinite Leave To Remain for that resident tuition and access to student loans. What kind of charities are you involved with or would you like to be in the future? 

Right now I am playing lots of Civilization V and Final Fantasy 14! I really enjoy RPG, puzzle, and strategy games. During lockdown, I have been going back to some more nostalgic ps1 and Gamecube games.

@emmarenshaw Hey there Emma, thank you  :)

@Adrian_Scope Hi Adrian, I am doing great, hope you are doing the same. Yup, my husband gets to work from home during these times. Unfortunately, the upstairs neighbors are completing renovating their flat so it isn't as great as he thought it would be. 

@Denise11 Hey Denise, its nice to meet you as well. I think the UK is probably better. From my own experience, I have had a lot of fear at my jobs for being fired due to health problems beyond my control. It isn't mandatory for an employer to pay any type of sick leave and they can pretty much fire you for just about anything. One of the worst days of my life was when I was fired from a job I loved for "not smiling enough" after I had explained to my boss that I started a new medication and my body wasn't adjusting well to it. Also the vacation days! I have probably only had 5 paid vacation days in the 6 years I was working back in the states. America has a lot to work on, to make the country work for everyone in it and I hope I live to see the day it does. 

@steve51 Hi Steve! Its great to meet you as well. 

@chiarieds Hello! I am not really sure yet what I plan to do with my degree. I am very interested in teaching children and teens the importance of mental health and mindfulness. I think its silly that most of us are just supposed to naturally learn how to navigate difficult problems and emotions when there are effective strategies that can be learned at any age. I've been interested in possibly writing children's books and developing some kind of web app for children and teens to learn about mental health. We will see where that goes :V 

I grew up in Las Vegas, Nevada 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Unfortunately, the upstairs neighbors are completing renovating their flat so it isn't as great as he thought it would be. 
    Oh wow. Yeah, I can't imagine that's great for keeping concentration!

I recently picked up Civilization V as I used to play (and lose) the original and its sequel with my dad as a very strategically naive kid. I've really enjoyed it so far, even though the computer has no problem wiping the floor with me on the harder difficulty levels. Do you ever play it online?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    Hey @DeliveryMoogle

That is cool that you can do a US degree while in the UK. There are some great universities over here for masters degrees. I was thinking in the long term of doing a distance learning degree maybe with the Open University in Business Management. However for now I am looking at doing a distance learning based CIPD diploma in HR. I hope to get paid employment in HR or volunteer coordination with it.

Civilization V looks pretty good I have only played the first two, I will check it out! I am currently playing a turn based/real time strategy game called Shogun 2: Totalwar with my friend cooperatively.
  • Denise11
    Denise11 Community member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    5 days of holiday in 6 years of work!  I had 6 weeks paid holiday per year 

Brightness