Universal credit help with joint claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit help with joint claim

Options
phonegirl1990
phonegirl1990 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi basically I’ve been on universal credits for a couple of months now my partner is a carer and gets carers allowance and were looking into getting carers element I work part time and earn £335 plus £40 cash in hand that I declare every month. 

My partner falls under the non working group As he’s a carer and I just want to know as we have a joint claim so I need to earn the whole £549 for our AET ie do I need to get another job to get me over the joint AET or does UC include my partners carers allowance as a income because then his carers and my wages plus cash in hand work will add up to £656 so over the joint Min of £549? I’ve asked UC and they just can’t seem to give me a answer.
of anyone on here could help me that would be great 

Comments

• phonegirl1990
    phonegirl1990 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Added : I was originally told that as long as I was earning over £343 that would get me into light touch but I’m not hundred cent sure if they realise that I was on a joint claim and when I re-arcs the question no one seems to have an answer for me x 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi @phonegirl1990 and welcome to the community.

Your partner should already be receiving the carer element of UC if he receives Carer’s Allowance. 

Unfortunately his CA doesn’t count towards the AET and you would need to earn over £547 a month to meet the AET and be placed in light touch. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Just seen your added comment, yes that sounds most likely. £341 is the amount for a single claim AET. 

Also I’m not sure if you’re aware but self-employed earnings don’t count towards the AET either. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hI @phonegirl1990 I am pleased you have had your question answered (I didn't know the answer) and seems the DWP don't know either

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.