Length of award — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Length of award

Options
shnwttn
shnwttn Community member Posts: 21 Connected
Hi all,

I recently posted on here regarding what I initially believed to be a change in circumstance. However I was advised to request the DWP reconsider the length of my award.

I did this (supplying them with new medical evidence and a comprehensive statement as to why I believe my award should be extended) and today received a telephone call from the DWP to discuss the matter and to ask would like to proceed (i.e. I could request reassessment, reapply etc.) as I did not want to undertake such measures when I have a substantial amount of time of my award left, I again suggested to them if the the possibility of extending my award was an option. They advised it was and agreed this would be the best way forward. I advised the letter I had sent them was intended to be said request however as I had not explicitly requested this, I would need to write to them again to do so.

As I do not want prolong this issue, with a lot of back and forth between the DWP and I, I have attempted to find examples or literature on requesting my award be extended but cannot find any (without having to pay for a membership or subscription. Can anyone point me in the right direction or can offer any advice.

TIA

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I assume this is for PIP? I have never heard of anyone being allowed to extend the length of an existing award, if you circumstances have changed then you can advise them this has happened and they will review your award, with no gaurantees.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• shnwttn
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I assume this is for PIP? I have never heard of anyone being allowed to extend the length of an existing award, if you circumstances have changed then you can advise them this has happened and they will review your award, with no gaurantees.
    Yes this is for PIP. As advised, having discussed this with the DWP as I am not disputing that the award is wrong, but the length of the award, it is possible to ask them to reconsider the length of award.
  • woodbine
    Options
    How long is the award for?

• shnwttn
    Options
    woodbine said:
    How long is the award for?
    I have been in receipt of benefits for my illnesses (which have worsened over time) for 8 years during which time my awards have been for around 18 months each time.
  • woodbine
    Options
    Thats not unusual, I have been on DLA then PIP for 21 years and never had an award for more than 2 years, and I'm never going to get better.One other thing award periods are only a guide, they can review them at any time after 3 months even if its a 5 year award, so personally I wouldn't get to worried about award lengths.

• shnwttn
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Thats not unusual, I have been on DLA then PIP for 21 years and never had an award for more than 2 years, and I'm never going to get better.One other thing award periods are only a guide, they can review them at any time after 3 months even if its a 5 year award, so personally I wouldn't get to worried about award lengths.
    Ok. However I am only going on what I have been advised and the fact that the DWP manager I spoke with today seem think my request would likely be successful considering my current circumstance.
  • woodbine
    Options
    And therein lies the problem, the DWP have a lot of people working in departments where they have little or no experience, just plugging the gaps to cover for staff shortages, I should have pointed that out earlier in the thread sorry.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.