People with learning disabilities forgotten during pandemic, charity warns – Independent — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

People with learning disabilities forgotten during pandemic, charity warns – Independent

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited June 2020 in Coffee lounge

People with learning disabilities forgotten during pandemic, charity warns – Independent

People with learning disabilities forgotten during pandemic, charity warns. “I was almost ripping my hair out waiting to get out,” says Linda. 

“I mean it’s not much fun when you’re on your own and no one to talk to because you can’t approach them.” Linda, who has a learning disability, lives alone in a one-bedroom flat. 

The 65-year-old is one of thousands of people in the UK who has, in her words, been “stuck to the house like glue” as she self-isolated during the pandemic. 

Normally she would have the opportunity to get out and about regularly, with help from staff at Mencap. 

But that has had to change.

What are your thoughts? Have you felt forgotten? Let us know.
Scope

Comments

• MsCookJA
    MsCookJA Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    I am looking to set up a job that people who wants to talk to some one could. Especially at nights when they having a melt down and they need some one to listen to them so they can feel safe to find back their self (safe place or grounding). My sister's 2 daughters are on the high specrams of Autism. I helped by listening,  and I don't make nothing they say are do disturbed our interaction because every one deserved to be listened to. Stress can multiplied when the person don't appreciate the other one who is having a melt down. I was thinking to set up my session through the phone with client who is not comfortable with face to face mentoring and WiFi face to face for people who want to see other person physical actions. Please give me some feedback because I want to work from my home  so I can earn whilst I take care of my long term illness which can be detrimental to me if I should get Cocud 19. Keep safe every one. I hope you all can understand what I have wrote. I have dyslexia and mild case of Autism too. MsCookJa
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    MsCookJA said:
    I am looking to set up a job that people who wants to talk to some one could. Especially at nights when they having a melt down and they need some one to listen to them so they can feel safe to find back their self (safe place or grounding). My sister's 2 daughters are on the high specrams of Autism. I helped by listening,  and I don't make nothing they say are do disturbed our interaction because every one deserved to be listened to. Stress can multiplied when the person don't appreciate the other one who is having a melt down. I was thinking to set up my session through the phone with client who is not comfortable with face to face mentoring and WiFi face to face for people who want to see other person physical actions. Please give me some feedback because I want to work from my home  so I can earn whilst I take care of my long term illness which can be detrimental to me if I should get Cocud 19. Keep safe every one. I hope you all can understand what I have wrote. I have dyslexia and mild case of Autism too. MsCookJa
    From my point of view, I think listening is the best thing you can do for anybody who is having a hard time, whether they have a learning disability, a physical disability or sensory disability. I think that's a great idea.

Sometimes an individual might just need somebody there to listen to what they're going through, especially in a time like this where face to face interaction is hard to come by. 
  • MsCookJA
    Hi Ross2503. Respect thanks for the uplifting words. I strongly agreed with you. Now I will go a head and think how I can achieved my dreams. The part I mostly felt in your feedback that left aroma of hope "is that I should consider every one because we are all human with emotions and we all need to touch based sometimes by interaction, even if it's just by listening". I too find out some people are too busy to take on other people suitcase that is full of untamed emotions. Lol. But in my opinion when I listen to others uncleared feelings I too introspective and find released knowing that we are all human's with untamed  emotions. Thanks for your feedback.  Keep safe MsCookJA
  • christian96
    christian96 Posts: 101 Courageous
    I need minimal support. My disability is a physical one. What I need is respect utmost. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Some really good suggestions here. We all deserve respect. :)
    Scope

• MsCookJA
    Chole-Scope 100% accurate 

Brightness