Change of address — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change of address

laney1970
laney1970 Community member Posts: 85 Connected
Hi could someone please advise me I'm moving soon I'm on ESA I won't be claiming housing benefit as who I'm moving in with already claimed will I have to move onto uc

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi If you are moving in with somebody then you will need to inform the DWP as this may mean going onto a joint claim as well as inform them of change of address. All changes of circumstances must be reported
  • laney1970
    laney1970 Community member Posts: 85 Connected
    Not a joint claim I'm moving in with my son he already claims UC so will it be a change of circumstances and will I need to claim uc
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    It will still be change of circumstances and could affect both of your benefits as if you are both claiming benefits . You need to get advice from CAB or welfare rights 
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,609 Disability Gamechanger
    @laney1970. Hi Iv just moved house I’m on ESA Iv been advised I won’t have to change onto UC as I’m moving within the same council,I really hope it’s right. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @laney1970. If you're not needing to make a new claim for housing benefit etc, then no it isn't a change that prompts switching to UC. You should be able to just change your address with ESA. 

Your son will need to update his UC to inform them you're living with him. Depending on what other benefits you're both claiming he may have a non-dependant deduction to his housing element for you living with him. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lou67
    @Adrian_Scope. Hi Adrian sorry for jumping on this thread, has the advice Iv been given about moving house within the same council, won’t trigger a move to UC. I haven’t phoned ESA yet to change address.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited June 2020
    Hi @lou67.

If you’re already receiving housing benefit, then moving within the same council authority won’t trigger a change to UC. I have heard occasions where people are wrongly told they’ll have to change but it should just be a simple case of changing address.

If you don’t currently claim housing benefit but need to in your new home (and aren’t in receipt of SDP) then this would trigger a change to UC, even if it’s the same council authority.

If you only claim ESA and you’re moving (in the same council authority or outside of it) and don’t need to claim help with housing costs, then it isn’t a change that prompts UC either. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lou67
    @Adrian_Scope.Hi Iv been receiving HB for the flat Iv just moved from so hopefully it’ll be straight forward if anything is ever straight forward lol youv  gave me a bit of peace of mind so thank you ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.