Maximum kerb height a wheelchair user can go up — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Maximum kerb height a wheelchair user can go up

markdougall
markdougall Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I was wondering if anyone knew the maximum curb height a wheelchair user can go up. 

Comments

• markdougall
    If Possible a source to verify such information
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @markdougall Welcome to the community. Im not too sure there is a generic answer to this I would imagine it would be dependant on the type of chair you are using as they are all different.

May get more information from a mobility supplier
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @markdougall, this would depend on the chair. For example, some wheelchairs have anti-tip bars which will reduce the height of curb that you can go up. Also, a powerchair isn't recommended to go up or down curbs.

I hope this helps!
    Scope

• markdougall
  • simplesimon53
    simplesimon53 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    First hello all am new here So thought a Quick hello. My power chair does a max 3inc curb but it not really recommended to do anything other than drop curbs but I find that easier said than done I think councils should look at more drop curbs to help chair users
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @simplesimon53! Great to have you with us. :)
    Scope

• littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    As a wheelchair user I think that it should be manditory when a company takes up a pavement to carryout some work a dropped kerb should be put in place when the work is completed! It so annoys me when they put the pavement back usually with a higher kerb. While I am on my high horse who checks that dropped kerbs have been put in properly? What I called a correctly installed dropped kerb that is flat is not the same as others!

• quinq
    quinq Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    As others have said yep it depends on the user and the chair. someone with good core and a well fitted, active user manual chair can do a much bigger curb; many power chairs can't do one at all - curb cuts are absolutely necessary anyway!

If i'm going at a curb at 90° with good speed probably 4" but it wouldn't be very comfortable! I can also put my front wheels up on a much bigger step and pull myself up if there's things to hold on to? So for example if there's a proper step into a house I can put my wheels up and pull myself up using the door frame, provided there's no bump after that to trap the front wheels so i can roll forward as I come up

I can go down a much bigger jump, though I don't have the balance to go down a whole flight of stairs yet like some do
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    My new power chair cuts out at most kerbs it is driving me mad!,???? it has marked all our paving as we have a small approx 10cm step and the kerb climer is scratching all the paving. Soon it will be a drop as it wears it away. Who is going to foot the bill to repair that. Not wheelcahir services for sure! 
  • simplesimon53
    simplesimon53 Community member Posts: 2 Listener

the other issue I find is cars parking in the middle of paths and on drop curbs this has broke parts of my power char due to having drop down curbs that are too high then having use the road

Brightness