Nothing for mobility - should I appeal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Nothing for mobility - should I appeal?

Options
1Kawasaki
1Kawasaki Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, newbie to this got my pip today , I got the enhanced rate of daily living, but nothing for mobility as they said it’s because I can plan a follow a route of a journey unaided. I’m thinking of ringing tomorrow to contest it , how do you think I’ll get on please 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @1Kawasaki and welcome to the community! Have you just received this decision? 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @1Kawasaki

Good Morning & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

Yes you can contest it but you have only got one month to do so.

We have got some great info/advice if that would help ???

@steve51

• Denise11
    Denise11 Community member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi 1Kawasaki  I don't understand you why your mobility stopped just because you can plan how to go somewhere because the benefit is given to make life easier for you, so you can live and go where you want to, when you want to.   That is the ethos of having the allowances.  I've still got it and I plan the routes I take so why shouldn't you?  I would contest it!  Good luck.  Nice to meet you and hope you like our community.  Denise11

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @1Kawasaki Welcome to the community great to have you on board.

You can contest the decision if you feel you should have been awarded, to do this you need to first do a Mandatory Reconsideration, you can do this on the phone You have 1 month from the decision to do this you need to state why you disagree with the decision made against the descriptors but also follow it up in writing. 

Most MR are not successful and get the same decision you will then need to appeal and take to tribunal.

All the details of this should be in your letter
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just to add your whole award will be looked at as part of the appeal so you could run the risk of losing what you have already been awarded so make sure you get advice before proceeding
  • 1Kawasaki
    Options
    Morning @steve51 thanks yes I’ve been reading people’s comments on here.found some very good answers . I rang them this morning and used some of the advice given. Just need to wait upto 10wks . Thanks everyone.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @1Kawasaki, have you asked for a mandatory reconsideration? Here are two ways of doing this:

Challenging a benefit decision

If you want to challenge a benefit decision you have 1 calendar month from the date on your decision letter to ask the DWP to reconsider.

You can either:

If you choose to write a letter, include all the information required by the online form.

Challenging a PIP decision (Citizens Advice)

Also, please be aware that in the letter or online form you should show how you meet the descriptors, rather than just saying the parts that they were wrong. Requesting a copy of the report can also help with this. 

Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @1Kawasaki

That’s great news my friend.

Please please let me know if there’s anymore help/support that we can offer you.

@steve51
  • CJ61
    CJ61 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    Options
    @kawasaki
    Apologies for bring off topic but do you mind me asking
    What Kawasaki? Love love my Honda but sadly not been up to riding for quite a while. I see a football thread has been started........Wonder what intetest there would be in an all things motorbike one lol. 
  • 1Kawasaki
    Options
    Hi Denise , no I never got it in the first place as they said I could “plan & carry out a journey” 
    Hi janer1967 yes my wife rang and spoke to them this morning to contest the decision and there now reviewing it and I’ve just to wait & hear now could take upto 10 wks. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.