50% reduction for road tax from PIP standard mobility — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

50% reduction for road tax from PIP standard mobility

Options
Kittyc
Kittyc Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
I kept getting mixed messages.  First time I have applied for PIP and got standard mobility.  How do I go about the 50% reduction for road tax.  I have already paid my road tax in full this year.  Do I get a reduction for this year?  

I'm getting mixed messages that I have to go to the Post Office to sort out and then someone else it says direct to DVLA who are currently closed and not advising sending any paperwork.  It doesn't run out until October but just want to see what I need to do x

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Kittyc, I hope this information helps. :)

Vehicle tax reduction

Eligibility

You can get a 50% reduction in vehicle tax if you get the PIP standard rate mobility component.

The vehicle should be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.

How to claim

You must include the following with your application:

• a letter or statement from the Department for Work and Pensions that shows your PIP rate and the dates you’re getting it
    • the vehicle log book (V5C)
    • V10 form
    • an original MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
    • a cheque or payable order (made out to ‘DVLA, Swansea’) for 50% of the full rate of car tax for the vehicle
    • an insurance certificate or cover note (if you live in Northern Ireland)

If you’ve just bought the vehicle and it’s not registered in your name yet, you’ll need to complete a V62 form and include the green ‘new keeper’ slip from the log book with your application.

Send the documents to:

DVLA
    Swansea
    SA99 1BF

If the vehicle is not registered to you or the nominated driver

When you make your application you will need to include a signed letter from the vehicle’s registered keeper. This needs to say: 

• how they know you
    • how the vehicle will be used, for example picking up your prescription or shopping 
    Scope

• Kittyc
    Kittyc Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    That is brilliant thank you 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Kittyc Welcome on board nice to have you join us and I look forward to seeing you around

Brightness