Zero points from pip assesment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Zero points from pip assesment

rachgxx
rachgxx Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi all,

I’m new to the forum but just wanted some advice. My daughter had her assessment over the phone last week and has zero points for both daily living and mobility. We are waiting for the report to come so will know a little more then. She is a type 1 diabetic and suffers severe depression and anxiety, I have to go and administer her medication and ensure she eats 4 times a day as she is a suicide risk and has attempted overdosing on insulin 3 times this year. She will not leave the house alone and has missed several doctors appointments as due to the pandemic she has to attend the surgery alone. She cannot look after herself and needs a lot of my time and support.  The distress she suffers when having to leave the house is devastating I am just wondering if anyone can help me understand how she has been scored a zero for both when clearly she needs full time care. Is it worth appealing as I don’t want to put anymore added stress on her. 

Comments

• samfits99
    samfits99 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    @rachgxx wait to get the report and see what is says. they do this with most people. there scum of the earth they are !!!! 9/10 the decision maker goes mainly what they report says, but not all the time. they gave me a BS one and I did my research and the decision maker awarded it me. but I suffer from adhd and anger issues with other stuff which I won’t get into. so I don’t go to assessments as I said if you allow me to go I will smash the computer over there head! and would. so mine all gets done by paper based assessment. 9/10 if you get paper based there is a very strong chance you will get it. Let’s just say I no someone that works for DWP and is good friends with a decision maker. so helps, as I no what they are looking for. and tbh mine is due in the next few months and I am not even worried because if they say no I will take them to the tribunal win and yes I’m 10000% I will. and I will rinse the DWP ?? sorry if no one likes that comment but that’s what I will do. as I no I’m fully entitled to it. just don’t give up Rach. 
  • rachgxx
    Its just so frustrating she’s been waiting 20 weeks for her assessment, I was so pleased as it was over the phone due to her difficulties but to score zero on every aspect surely something is wrong, I’ll just have to wait for her report to come and see what it says! I hope everything works out for you on yours it’s so sad as I know people have been awarded without genuine health problems I think that’s the most upsetting thing 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rachgxx - I'd just like to welcome you to this friendly & supportive community. I'm sorry you feel your daughter's PIP assessment wasn't good. Unfortunately what often happens is that it's not understood that PIP is about how a person's disability affects them, rather than any diagnoses. You have just given very clear distressing examples of this. However, an understanding of the 'descriptors' may also help. Please see: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/
    Altho this link is about completing a PIP form with mental health issues, it may give you an idea as to where your daughter should have 'scored' points if you wish to appeal, initially with a Mandatory Reconsideration. If you both decide to go ahead with this, if no award is indicated with the copy of her assessment report, then it gives you time to look into this.
    Once she receives the decision letter, then she has nothing to lose in applying for a Mandatory Reconsideration if nothing has been awarded. You could also send in a supportive letter saying how much help your daughter needs, how you help, & why.
    If you decide to do a Mandatory Reconsideration, please give a couple of examples (for each descriptor that applies) as to the difficulty she has attempting such an activity, why she has difficulty, what are the consequences for her, how often this happens, etc., & put this in writing.
    Unfortunately less than 1 in 5 Mandatory Reconsiderations are successful, but it's the first stage of appeal that has to be gone through.

• Kittyc
    Kittyc Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    There are some good assessors out there.  My report was word to word our telephone conversation and I was struggling with hearing loss, which is hard to portray over the telephone.  She took my word for it that I was using all my assisted technology.   It was my first time applying and I had read all the horror stories.  It certainly throws you into anxiety when you are trying to talk about your disabilities.  
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rachgxx Welcome on board, can I ask did your daughter do the phone assessment herself ? If so it may be worth it by the sounds of it that you apply to be her appointee and speak on her behalf.

Maybe she didn't explain everything and the difficulties she has at the assessment (was you present)

It is only a suggestion and as advised above about going for an appeal if you think it warrants it then yes fight for it
  • rachgxx
    Thanks for the info guys, I was sat with her the whole time it was quite lengthy just short of 2 hours, she explained everything I do on a daily basis and her struggles. I am still waiting for the report but I will be going for the MR as i know how challenging it is for her day to day. @Username_removed apologies I wasn’t generalising at all, I was simply saying I know someone that has been awarded Pip. They were awarded both enhanced daily and mobility for mental health and have openly admitted that they have no such issues and for me that is upsetting as I have to witness the daily struggles with my daughter knowing they are genuine and distressing to her. I did not mean to cause offence I’m just very disappointed in the outcome. 
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    hi @rachgxx, totally empathise with you, dont give up and you have every right to be disappointed/angry/upset  :)
  • positivitygoing1
    positivitygoing1 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    I was lucky like kittyc was with the assessor putting everything I said down , 
    I haven't long had my report back and it does seem to be as my assessor wrote on every descriptor 

"Has had therapy 1 on 1 sessions and is currently waiting for CBT" 

And citizens advice told me that they tend to award you the points if your with the mental health team or consultants etc , 
    As in you are trying to get better by seeking help (I hope I've worded this right) ,

Obviously I'm not an expert at all , im only relaying information told to me when I asked why did she repeatedly put the same thing down , 

It took me a long time to even attempt to ask for help and the thought of therapy was a no for me I thought talking about things I didn't really want to wouldn't help , 

But I just wished I had the courage to ask for it sooner I'm hoping after covid to stick with it and hopefully feel better , (that's the mental health side of things with me) I have lots of things at the moment , 

Does your daughter see the mental health team at all ? If she doesn't maybe you could encourage her she is lucky to have you her mother supporting her , 

I hope things turn around for you x
  • rachgxx
  • rachgxx
    @positivitygoing1 hi, yes she was referred to a therapist however she missed her last appointment as her mood was extremely low and I was unable to sit with her on this day due to work commitments, she struggles to communicate with people whilst on her own, the team have now discharged her as she was unable to pick up the phone and let them know she was struggling, she did let the assessor know this as well I can only hope they will reconsider thank you for your well wishes I hope things turn around for you x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.