PIP Claim and Appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Claim and Appeal

jcalderwood
jcalderwood Community member Posts: 13 Connected
edited June 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hey all sorry for the long post!!

So back in August 2019 I applied for PIP and was turned down in Oct/ Nov 19 with 0 points. Requested MR and decision wasn’t changed so appealed it and awaiting the outcome.

Was advised before COVID-19 that I should reapply as a new claim as I’ve been having a lot of mental health issues in relation to having cancer last year and the treatments I’ve been having. So reapplied in Feb 2020, had assessment via telephone and now awaiting decision. 

Got the new PA4 V3 report from DFC and it shows 16 points for DL and 12 for Mobility. But the information from the HP reflects that most of the issues are caused by the removal of my Thyroid and Lymph Node removal back in May 19. (Had Thyroid Cancer that had spread to the Lymph Nodes in the neck).

Would it be best to send that report to the Appeal Service?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jcalderwood Welcome to the community great to have you on board. I am not too sure what to suggest as you in essence have 2 claims outstanding and you may get a decision for the new claim before the tribunal. The tribunal will only look at your condition at the time you sent in first application as this is the decision you are appealing against.

If the tribunal award it will be backdated to date of original claim date but the new claim only pay back to date of that claim.

I suggest you get some advice from CAB or welfare rights
  • jcalderwood
    janer1967 said:
    Hi @jcalderwood Welcome to the community great to have you on board. I am not too sure what to suggest as you in essence have 2 claims outstanding and you may get a decision for the new claim before the tribunal. The tribunal will only look at your condition at the time you sent in first application as this is the decision you are appealing against.

If the tribunal award it will be backdated to date of original claim date but the new claim only pay back to date of that claim.

I suggest you get some advice from CAB or welfare rights
    Thanks for the reply, I must give CAB a call on Monday and see what they say.

The way the HP wrote the report this time round had referenced the old report at the top of each activity that I scored on and then the explanation on the issues I’ve been having. The main on was the issue with having the thyroid and lymph nodes removed which is causing chronic fatigue which is a main issue that wasn’t picked up in the first report. 

• katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    hi all, just spoken to the dwp regarding a copy of my assessment report, the man is posting it to me tonight. i asked the outcome but he said its with a case manger, praying im successful, the report should be here next week
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    It sounds like the second claim has been successful as the DM usually goes with the HCP assessment, its likely this decision will be made before you have your appeal heard, in which case you could stop the appeal and accept the second award.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• jcalderwood
    It’s just a waiting game now with getting the decision. Almost 3 weeks from the time they got the report so will hopefully know by the middle of July on the outcome.

If going by the HCP assessment and I do get the award I will most likely cancel the appeal as you said as I’m happy enough with the outcome either way. If the DM doesn’t go with the report then will deal with that when the time comes but hopefully not.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Fingers crossed for you @jcalderwood and I hope your report arrives soon @katho31. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Morning, many thanks @Adrian_Scope :), ill post if it does arrive, really hope so
  • jcalderwood
    Still no word about the decision on the second claim.. rang DFC yesterday and they said they should have a decision made by the end of next week or following week.. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Still no word about the decision on the second claim.. rang DFC yesterday and they said they should have a decision made by the end of next week or following week.. 
    @jcalderwood!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.