Phone assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Phone assessment

Mrpip2020
Mrpip2020 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Can a Pip assessor on a review assessment ask you about your employment?? * I havehave always foundfound the process onon inin which it's veryvery much how many times the assessor cancan confuse you which questionsquestions that havehave adaptive answersanswers which suits their agenda..... IE: To fail you at every opportunity 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 15 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome, yes they can ask about employment as they want to make sure the work you do does not contravene any of the reasons why you are applying for PIP.  Many people who claim PIP do work 
  • Mrpip2020
    I just don't trust them and the process. I have a part time job with miniual responsibility my carer takes me pucks me up I use aids to walk and balance the main reason for the job was in main to feel useful again. I have concentration issues and I can't help but feel this will all count against me and its stressing me out its horrible 
  • Mrpip2020
    What are the working issues that would contravention the pip claim any Web based information or guidance on this area of the assessment pricess
  • janer1967
    There isnt anything specific I will give few examples so you get what I mean 

If you say in assessment you cant walk or balance but then your job was window cleaner 

Or if you say you cant read or write but you are an admin clerk 

These are obvious examples 

Not all assessors are bad there are lots positive outcomes but we dont see them on this type of forum as they are happy and have no questions 
  • Mrpip2020
    I took this menial job to gain confidence and self respect as I was depressed feeling worthless its hard for me each time but it helps stop the cycle of low self worth and yet I feel it will all count against me for trying to introduce some normality. I don't mean to pre-judge assessors but my experience has been that they have a habit of tailoring any answers given to the benefit of the system and state. 
  • janer1967
    When is your assessment 
    Good luck and keep us updated 
  • Mrpip2020
    Assessment Wednesday one last question can the assessor contact your employer??? 
  • janer1967
    Not too sure I doubt it as it is the assessors job to assess you . It is DWP who would request further info but I think its only medical evidence as you will have told them your gp and consultants info bit not your employer 

Try not get stressed about it j know it's easier said than done but you are over thinking it 
  • Mrpip2020
    OK many thanks 
  • samfits99
    samfits99 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    @Mrpip2020 you don’t have to legally declare to PIP your working. I work part time and I haven’t declared it and won’t “full stop”!!! as I am under no legal obligation to inform them. also on your PIP letter it says about letting us no about any changed and doesn’t state you have to declare your working. the only time you should is if your going against the points your getting for PIP while in work or out of work. where you wouldn’t be entitled to them points. people will have different opinions but I haven’t declared it and never will end of. will only report it my condition has gone worse or move address or bank details. they don’t need to no about work. It’s not means tested anyway, doesn’t go off earnings. even if you was getting 500K a week your still entitled to it. I’ve checked what I get the money for and doesn’t affect me going to work and actually working. 
  • Mrpip2020
    Cheers that very useful to know
    I just don't trust them or the system. I took this job to improve my mental health as if it isn't hard enough with a life changing disability disfigurement limitations in every aspect of what people call normal. Becoming disabled at 58 after leading a "normal" life daily life is filled with frustration, disappointment, and a daily battle with self worth. I have to be honest I am not sure I have the mental capacity for this phone assessment with lock down, covid 19 and being in the high at risk catogorery to me it's starting to feel like the prefect storm ????
  • samfits99
    @Mrpip2020 don’t worry about it anytime. just tell them your not working at your assessment as it’s not a legal obligation to tell them or the DWP. it states on the PIP GOV WEBSITE that you only need to make changes to bank details address or moved house ect ect. just don’t tell them. I haven’t and will not. as the system is corrupt enough!!! don’t give them a opportunity to kick you off it or review your claim to see if your entitled to it. as your payments will be up in the air!!! it’s not “fraud” as long as you genuinely score points on the descriptors and there not going against you working then don’t declare it. Only inform them if your condition has gotten worse or better. ( worse )- would be a better option. We can all agree to disagree, but the answer is NO YOU don’t have to. Good luck!!! my review is in a few months I’m not worried as I no what I’m doing and no what I’m entitled to and won’t give up till the get the amount I should be granted. 
  • janer1967
    While I agree you dont need to declare you are working I wouldn't recommend lying if you are asked the question. 
    By giving false information  you could risk them questioning the integrity of the claim 
    The DWP have access to earnings through tax systems so can see if you are earning 

This is just my advise and opinion but it is your decision what to say if they ask the question 
  • janer1967
    My ex husband was taken to court for not informing DWP when he started working and was claiming the old DLA after being reported they followed him and got video evidence and he had to pay money back. 

You can work and claim Pip so that isnt an issue and by explaining your job and how your disability stops you doing types of work could go in your favour 
  • samfits99
    @janer1967 no one is under any legal obligation to inform the DWP PIP they are working, otherwise it would stipulate this on the GOV site but it doesn’t. and in regards to earning of course they can check that out but they don’t go off “what you earn” and it doesn’t make a difference if you was on 100PW or 50K PW. the only time I would inform the DWP I am working is if I’m scoring points for carrying out my job which would constitute as fraud and misleading, but where I have gained my points doesn’t restrict me going back and forth to work ( full stop). If your not doing anything wrong then your fine. they no I have a part time job as I did state this but they wasn’t interested. people get taken to court if there getting money there not entitled to. that’s just my opinion, and quite frankly I couldn’t give two sxxts as so many people are playing the system and it’s all corrupt. ( my opinion). 
  • samfits99
    @janer1967 was your x husband not entitled to it then? to go as far as video calling him they must of thought he was committing fraud. the way I see it and I’m going to comment on it anymore ..... as long as the points you are getting reflect your issues and not just BS then your fine. it’s if your getting points for gong out and needing someone with you but your in a busy supermarket packing out lol!! then it’s a different ball game. but get what you are saying. I had to pay 150 back from a JSA debt a very long time ago as it was a over payment. **** happens. 
  • janer1967
    @samfits99 I did say you didnt have to declare working and i know some people think this has gone against them in PIP reviews.

I know PIP isnt income related all I was trying to say is I wouldn't recommend lying if the question was asked 

It's good to give members different views for them to think over but again I believe in honesty 

• janer1967
    @samfits99 my ex was claiming and told them he started work and they said it was ok he then stopped working told them 
    . He then started back again in same job as b4 but didnt tell them 

His award was old long term DLA due to having cancer . He was reported by his ex as revenge and investigated and they said as he didnt report the change that he was in the wrong 
  • janer1967
    I know DLA is different to PIP and different criteria 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.