Disabled Facilities Grant — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled Facilities Grant

Options
IWR
IWR Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi I have a question regarding a adult in their late 30s who currently lives in an annex of her parents home. They however want to move. She would like to move with them but the new home has stairs. She can not safely do stairs and would like to get a facilities grant. Her parents are retiring and have savings above £16,000. She does not. Can she not apply for a grant? Thanks

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community. From what I can read about it the person applying for the grant has to own the house or be a landlord so it would be the parents applying for the grant so their savings would be taken into account.

Sorry it probably isn't the answer you wanted
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    This makes me cross when billions can be spent on anything and everything.   
    Disability related essential expenditure should surely count as a public service the same as n.h.s. 
    By what logic and what fairness can it be means tested?
    How is it compliant with Disability Discrimination legislation,  to punish those with savings?
    (In any  case, why is having savings not part of government policy to encourage prudence?)

Scope has figures on the extra costs of disability. 
    We could be sure that every department of central and  local  government   would  be horrified to contemplate  providing  a public service  with inbuilt Racism. 

What makes Disablism (and Ageism)  less equal  than other equalities?
    Arguably, Disablism (and  punishment  for  having savings)  is government  policy.

In some situations,  a person could sit in a house worth millions and claim various benefits,  while another sits cold and hungry in a rented room, dreading living too long and finding their savings have all gone, but those savings mean they are treated as wealthy and not entitled to benefits, or even a stair lift to save them from imprisonment in solitary confinement in their room..

Brightness