Work Capability Assessment decision HELP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work Capability Assessment decision HELP

laurenm25
laurenm25 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I got my letter in my journal today saying - 

I have limited capacity for work and work related activity. 

I may get extra money due to my disability or health condition. Changes in this will show up on my statement when they happen. 

The money is awarded after 3 months the date I first gave them evidence (handed in sick note Jan2020) 

If you already owe us money we will recover this from the money we owe you. 

So my question is from what date will the money be backdated from it says 3 months so is that March to June 2020 so 4 months of money owed ? 

Also on my UC I pay rent arrears from a long time ago been paying it for ages at like £20-30 a month depending so not sure how long/much is left to pay will that be included in the money the will deduct for debt owed to them ? And also when I first moved onto UC I took an advanced loan I’ve got £130 left to pay will they take all this off  the back dated money. 

Thanks in advanced. 

I am dyslexic and struggle with understanding the way they have worded the letter to me, also sorry in advance for spelling or any other errors tried my best . 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @laurenm25

Good Evening & Welcome.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Sorry to hear about your current problems.

I have got a good friend on here who is very very good with Benefits.

Hi @Adrian_Scope

Can you please offer me some help with this post???

Thanks

@steve51
  • laurenm25
    edited June 2020
    Hi @steve51 thanks for taking the time to comment appreciate it ! 

Hopefully @Adrian_Scope can help with some of the questions I’ve asked.  

thanks 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,099 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @laurenm25 - & welcome to the community. The letter you received is a standard one sent out saying you may get extra money or they will deduct money from what you may owe. My understanding about the advanced loan you took out with UC is that you pay it off each month over no more than 12 months, so unlikely this will be deducted. I don't know about your rent arrears.
    You will get extra money (more than the basic amount) as you have been found to have 'limited capability for work & work related activity.'
    As to how much money you should receive will depend on when you sent your sick note in. Do you know the date? This will help Adrian work this out for you.

• laurenm25
    Hi thanks @chiarieds

my first sick note was sent in on the 7th Jan 2020.

The letter I got in my journal was after sending off my UC50 form I think it’s called then they done a phone assessment call because of the virus it had to be taken over phone instead of in person. 

Thanks. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @laurenm25. Sorry, I just replied to your other thread and then saw this one. Thanks for letting us know the date your first fit note was sent in.

Can you tell me the dates of your assessment period? These should be any of your UC statements and say something along the lines of "based on your circumstances between 23rd of May and 22nd of June".
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • laurenm25
    edited June 2020
    Hi thanks @Adrian_Scope for helping out I seen your message on my other post, really helpful and for debt owed to them I don’t have any over payments that they are taking off my UC just now. So shouldn’t take anything off if it when I get the backdated money. 

my assessment dates are 11 may to 10th June 

first sick note 7th Jan 2020 

thanks.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    So because it has to be full assessment periods to count @laurenm25, they calculate the backpay like this:

11th December to 10th Jan - fit note supplied but doesn’t count as not a full assessment period
    11th Jan to 10th Feb - month 1
    11th Feb to 10th March - month 2
    11th March to 10th April - month 3
    11th April to 10th May - first payment (due to be paid 17th May)

So they’ll owe you May and June. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • laurenm25
  • steve51
    Hi @laurenm25

How are things going today I do hope that you have got some good info/advice???

Please please let me know if there’s anything else that I can offer you??????

@steve51
  • laurenm25
    Hi @steve51

yes things are good thanks for asking. Thanks to you and @Adrian_Scope I got help with everything I need. 

Really appreciated thanks very much. 
  • steve51
    Hi @laurenm25

That’s My Pleasure ???

@steve51

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.