Assessment report — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessment report

desbo2710
desbo2710 Community member Posts: 42 Connected
Hi everyone. Received a copy of my assessment report.  Scored 11 points on the daily living. Need advice though. I sent 5 reports to to dwp from a physcotherapist, I've noticed on my assessment the independent assessment team that all the evidence considered is just my pip questionnaire. I dont want to go into all the details of my mental health, I will say it starts with anxiety then escalates to ptsd. The assessor in her report, a nurse, accepts I have I have put myself in danger by running across a dual carriageway through a panic attack but says I'm able to plan/ follow a journey without any support. She also accepts I need help dressing because I can't fasten buttons, laces etc due to a physical disability but yet I only received 2 points. If she says my friend ties my laces and fastens buttons does this not come under unable to dress with supervision/support. Because of my physical disability I need help getting down the stairs to use the toilet or bath. My friend takes me down as any movement in my neck cause me to have dizzy spells. I recieved 2 points under aid or appliance. I'm thinking of putting in a mandatory reconsideration in. Is it advisable?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome, it is entirely up to you about putting in a MR but please bear in mind only a small number are successful and most give the same decision then it would be appeal to tribunal.

The assessor is there to do the assessment based on your form and evidence but it is more likely the decision maker that will look at the reports you sent in detail.

If you think you should have scored more points then go for it as of course the additional point would get the higher rate

Good luck
  • janer1967
    Is it just the assessment report you have had or is it the decison letter, if it is just the report then the decision maker may use the additional evidence and give more points.

You need to wait until you have the final decision before you can submit a MR 
  • desbo2710
    I've just received a copy of the report. It has black dots that amount to 11 points. I've not had the decision, now I'm thinking the dm will deduct points ? the assessor has put under likely future circumstances an appropriate review should be in two years. Thanks @janer1967
  • janer1967
    Try not to panic and wait for decision DM goes with report on most cases 
    Let us know what outcome is and we can support eith MR if required 
  • desbo2710
    @janer1967 hi again. I got the standard rate for daily living, 11 points. 0 points for mobility.  The only thing considered was my questionnaire, my physiotherapists reports weren't used or considered. The assessor was a nurse who was been observed for training. She says I have c9 t1 compression in my cervical spine (neck) theres only 7 vertebrae in the neck,my MRI scan shows I have c5c6 compression and c6c7 compression. My physcotherapist reports say I have severe depression, severe anxiety and I'm care cluster 4. I wont go into the full findings but in a nutshell I've not left my home in over 4 months. I've proved my medication for cervical vertigo, anxiety and depression, pain relief. In the report the assessor says I've no input into my mental health but she had the reports in front of her. I have to have my friend with me to get me up and down the stairs because of the cervical vertigo. Is it worth going for a mandatory reconsideration and if yes can I lose points. Many thanks 
  • janer1967
    Hi it is only you that can decide about MR look at report and see where you think you should have more points . It's not about a diagnosis its how your condition affects you day yo day . If you do MR give examples of what happens when you try do task eg if you went upstairs without help what happens 

If you do MR yes you can lose points 
  • desbo2710
    Ok thanks for the reply. I shall think about it over the weekend and get in touch with citizens advice and see what they say.
  • janer1967
    Just a point I dont think the mobility part looks at being able to do stairs it's all about how far you can walk and about being able to plan and follow a journey 

Did you think you should have got mobility and if so why 

Good idea to see what CAB recommend 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @desbo2710 - if you go for a MR, it may stay the same, or go up. I can't see you losing 4 points, which you would need to do in order to lose the standard award. As mentioned, the decision however has to be yours.
    Using stairs isn't in any of the descriptors, so your difficulties there wouldn't be taken into account.
    Please have a look at the link I'm sending just in case, & read the notes at the end too: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    Have a good look through & see if there's anywhere you think you may gain at least one more point. Let us know if you then decide to go for a MR as we can advise some more. :)

• Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    janer1967, just a point yesterday at the tribunal they did go on and on about managing stairs even though my son lives in a bungalow, it was..... BUT if you did need to use stairs ....
  • janer1967
    Thanks @Lulu_1949
    I dont know why they discussed it as above it isnt in descriptors but sometimes it gives them idea of how daily living is affected 
  • desbo2710
    I live in a shared house on the 3rd floor so I've no choice but to go up and down the stairs, even walking on a level surface I get imbalance due to cervical vertigo and my friend supports me so I don't fall over. She accepted my imbalance but didn't mention it in the report. Dwp had reports from my doctor  an extended scope practitioner to verify I'm imbalanced but still no points even though they had records. As I said I'll mull over it all this weekend then decide what to do 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.