Liquid Diet — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Liquid Diet

alieshia
alieshia Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
I'm back on a liquid diet due to swallowing problems and aspiration of regurgitation. Does anyone have any tips on foods to eat? 

Comments

• forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
    Do you actually have to have liquid or can it be puree?  My son is on a totally blended oral diet and there isn't much he can't eat actually!  We blend pizza with hot water, pies with gravy, roast dinners (not all a much together but meat with gravy, veg with enough hot water to make a puree, even yorkshire pudding with water!)  Things like risotto, pasta and sauce, fish pie, paella can all be blended as smooth as you need with some added water (or milk or gravy) 
  • alieshia
    @forgoodnesssake please forgive my late reply. I will have to experiment with purees. I can't have anything too heavy because I have slow gastric emptying. Its all very much an experiment at the moment to find the right balance. Meat, gravy, and veg mix sound nice! A bit like a cottage pie really just thinner. All I've had this week is a large innocent smoothie each day, can't really survive on that. My GP has referred me back to SALT I was under them before but there's not much they can do. I aspirate but it's sporadic so wasn't seen on the test, it doesn't happen every single time but more often than it should it does go in my lungs and cause an infection. I'm lucky I do have strong lungs and can cough a lot up. 

Thank you so much for your ideas! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @alieshia, sorry you have been struggling with food. I can struggle to swallow at times due to the muscles in my face.

Have you tried things like jelly or yogurt? Soup is also a major go-to for me.
    Scope

• alieshia
    @Chloe_Scope don't really fancy soup when it's hot but thankfully it's been pretty cool around these parts so mum made me some lovely veg soup  <3 I had special meals in hospital and its the first time in forever that my stomach didn't hurt so think I'll order a few for the freezer for when I'm exhausted but hungry :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Putting them in the freezer sounds like a great idea @alieshia! I hope your stomach continues to tolerate it.
    Scope

Brightness