Would you move away for college? (NOT UNIVERSITY) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would you move away for college? (NOT UNIVERSITY)

Options
WeGotThePower
WeGotThePower Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2020 in Education
Hello all,

I'm currently 21-years old and I have mental health issues and autism. I'm thinking about moving next year for college (I decided not to move this year because I have a lot to sort out with my mental and physical health). Let me briefly tell you a bit about myself. I've only ever completed one academic year at college. So, basically when I left school, the first 3 years of leaving school you get funding to do whatever course you want to do for free. Well, I only ever did one year of funding that the government pays for. See what I mean? I did go to college after the 3-years of free funding, but it didn't work out again because of my mental and physical health (I'm on benefits, that's how I got the course for free).

Anyways, next year I should have my mental and physical health back on track. This leads me to next year. Where I live there's not many colleges offering A-levels for adults, however there is one in Hampshire that does and I really want to go there. Some people may think I'm silly because it's only college, why can't I study at a local college and not do A-levels? Well, the answer to that is: I have been to my local college before and it was terrible. The teachers had no understanding of mental health issues. They probably all thought OCD was a cleaning issue and not a devastating illness that can ruin lives. Also my weight holds me back because it makes me lack confidence.

So, I thought I'd take a year off if I am to move to Hampshire next year. I want to go to Hampshire because there's a college there that's got a really good reputation and they offer A-levels to adults. Also, one of their courses is A-level Animation, which is something I want to do! But I also want to have other A-levels to fall back on if I didn't succeed in the career I wanted.

However, even when I'm mentally and physically better, I'm so scared about moving somewhere else in the country where my mum and sisters aren't present. I come from Essex and Hampshire is a 2 and a half to 3 hour trip by car! It's quite a way to go. I know one day I'll have to move out of my mum's place, but what if something happens to her when I'm gone?! What if I really miss my mum and wouldn't be able to cope with the homesick feelings?! I know this is all probably my OCD and anxiety playing tricks on me, but I just such a worrier. Deep down I know mum would be alright, but what if I'm also missing spending time with her! I'm scared about this - but at the same time, I really want to get a good education and go to university one day.

Also, if I do move, I've got to find somewhere to live, I'll probably be driving by then, I'll have to transfer to universal credit as well. I'll probably have to live with someone; like a homestay family because I don't think I could live on my own; I'd be too lonely.

This year, whilst getting my treatments for my health, I'm going to look for permitted work under ESA.

So, given the circumstances, would you move away to a different area for college? I know people move away for university, but this is slightly different.

I just don't know what to do because I really, so badly want to study at the college I'm looking at, but at the same time, I'm scared of moving out because what if my mum isn't okay?! I get so worried. Essentially, I have one year and a few months to lose lots of weight and get my life back on track before I move away.

Comments

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    I think you will do exactly what you have set yourself to do. All best wishes.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome, It is a big decision to make and I think you are thinking logically about how you could do this.

Maybe it might be better to take things a little slower and make sure you can deal with an A level course while still in a familiar environment and if so then think about doing it out of town.

Could you do an online A level first to make sure you can cope with thr study side I know through looking myself there are pleannty of providers out there.

Keep us updated and any questions you have just ask
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @WeGotThePower and welcome to the community! How are things going at the moment?
    Scope

Brightness