UC lcwra — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC lcwra

donz72
donz72 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
edited June 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello I’m new to this site. My partner was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease December 2019. Had symptoms since 2013 of it. We had no choice but to claim UC in April as he had to give up work. We are now waiting to hear the outcome of his work Capability Assessment. Due to covid his hospital assessment is due August and his GP feels it might be put back. He is declining and has difficulty with a lot of things. He put in for Pip but hey ho he got turned down 0 points. Basically what he said he can’t do the HA said he could. Absolutely appalling when they can’t see him and judging over a telephone. They don’t get to see his struggles of this wicked disease. I’m waiting to hear from Parkinson’s.org to ring today to help with MR. They have been a godsend for advice.  I guess we will be probably looking at taking this to a tribunal looking at how many people are turned down. Would anybody know if he would be put into the Lcwra group for UC? There’s no way he will ever work again. I know it’s a 4 month wait to receive any extra payment. I work part time now due to his level of help I need to give him. 
Financially we are struggling. Never claimed any help in our life’s. I feel like it’s a long road now for him to get what he so rightly deserves.
I’m feeling low myself but have to keep plodding along. Thank you for any advice. Much appreciated 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @donz72

Welcome it’s great to meet you this morning.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes I would be more than happy in helping you with things if I can.

We have got some great resources on our site which you should find useful.

Sorry to hear that you are feeling very low please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with to make things easier for you.

We have also got lots of info/ advice  on Benefit’s which I can try to help you with??

If we need to have further help/advice we have got “Senior Members” that I can call on.

Please please let me know how you feel???

@steve51

• donz72
    @steve51 Thankyou for your kind reply. I suppose it just all gets abit too much sometimes.
    Its just the waiting game on hearing from UC regarding the work assessment as he will never work again he’s not going to get better just decline over time and now Pip to deal with.
    Has he’s newly diagnosed last Dec there’s not much evidence I can give for Pip only the hospital letter confirming he has Parkinson’s and his Sick notes from his GP. And his own statement on what he struggles with. Things like bathing washing etc I have to assist with some of those things. Even cutting up some of his food. Walking exhausts him they said he can do all those things. I just can’t believe it. 
    Im not sure if there’s anything else he can get financially.
    many thanks 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @donz72

No probs it’s my Pleasure.

Sorry to here about your “Benefits”

Please please let me know if you need a “shoulder to cry on”

We have got some good info on Benefit’s on here.

I can also try to help you with your “PIP”

There is also a “Benefit Calculator” 
    that we can use to find out what Benefits are currently available.

@steve51

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome, nobody can really tell you if he will get LCWRA

i get it myself after having to take it to tribunal. I was awarded enhanced PIP but found fit for work even though I was housebound so it was a battle, But that isnt the case for everyone.

Fingers crossed for you and keeop us updated
  • donz72
    edited June 2020
    @steve51 @janer1967  Thank you for your your reply’s. Just off the phone from a really lovely lady from Parkinson’s society whom have been a great help from the start. Waiting for a local advisor to assist with it now.
    We are prepared that he will get refused a mandatory reconsideration which is the next step. So here’s to a long wait for a tribunal to hear his case for Pip.
    And if it means the same for UC we are ready. I always feel fight for what you believe is right. And that we will. 

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @donz72 and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to read your partner was declined PIP but I'm glad to hear that Parkinson's Society are helping you with the appeal.
    As Janer1967 mentioned, it's impossible for us to say whether he'd receive LCWRA as it isn't based on having a specific diagnosis, but we're here to support you if you have any questions or just want to talk.

How long ago did he have his assessment for UC? Have you requested a copy of the assessment report? 
    If you need any help or have any questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • donz72
    Hello @Adrian_Scope his first fit note was acknowledged on the 17th April. Sent his assessment form back by the 5th June. It was acknowledged on his journal it had been received by our case manager. 
    Can you advise further Adrian on the LCWRA and what they base it on? Surely his Parkinson’s with no means he’s going to get better with this illness is proof enough with all I filled in what he struggles with day to day which is a lot of simple things. I have to assist and support with most everything.  He had symptoms for 7years and declined rapidly since then. 
    We’ve never claimed anything worked all our life’s like most people and I am shocked at the difficulty in the getting the support you need financially. Thanks for all your reply’s and advice very much appreciated.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @donz72
    They base it on a set of activities or 'descriptors' and award points based on whether they believe a claimant meets the criteria for them.
    To be awarded LCWRA he needs to score at least 15 points on the LCW descriptors AND meet one of the LCWRA criteria.

So he needs a minimum of 15 points from here: 
    LCW descriptors legislation

and then to meet at least one of these:
    LCWRA descriptors legislation

Reading through them can be quite overwhelming at first and most people find it difficult to see how or why they may apply to them which is why a representative or someone helping with the forms is often useful. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. I know the whole process can be very frustrating.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • donz72
    @Adrian_Scope thank you. He definitely fits into the LCWRA bracket. Will keep you up to date with how it goes.
    parkinsons society are ringing tomorrow to go through with us his Pip and then MR. Which I know he will be turned away again. So we are prepared for the long wait of a tribunal. 
    Thanks for the information.
  • donz72
    Hi @Adrian_Scope
    Good news today. Partner is now been put into LCWRA from UC. What a relief after having him turned down for Pip I was expecting another MR being sent off for this. 
    Just Pip to deal with now 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news @donz72! Fingers crossed for PIP. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.