Does accessibility stop you from watching TV? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does accessibility stop you from watching TV?

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited July 2020 in Coffee lounge
You might be a fan of dramas, or maybe films and documentaries are more your thing.

Scope have released a report that found that 80% of disabled people have experienced accessibility issues with online streaming services. This is something we hope to change!

An illustration depicting a man led by a guide dog a piece of film with a play icon a cinema ticket a popcorn box a clapperboard a woman with prosthetics walking and a woman in a wheelchair with an assistance dog

Scope’s Big Hack: Making the digital world better for disabled people – TechUK

A blog by Kristina Barrick, Scope’s head of digital influencing, is featured on the website of TechUK, a leading membership organisation with more than 850 members. 

Krissie writes: “Lockdown has been a stressful time for disabled people, who are being hit hard by the effects of the pandemic. 

While lockdown begins to ease, many of the UK’s 14 million disabled people are still being locked out of the digital world. 

Here at disability equality charity Scope, we are partnering with the tech industry through our Big Hack programme, encouraging businesses to put inclusive design at the heart of everything they do. 

This week, we’ve launched a new campaign urging streaming services to improve their accessibility, and to be more transparent about how accessible they are.”

What is your favourite thing to watch? Do you find any services inaccessible? Let us know in the comments below!
Scope

Comments

• katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    we enjoy crime dramas including the french and nordic, they have subtitles too. also the box set of the sopranos, brilliant! peter kays phoenix nights very funny, sometimes a bit of alan partridge  :)
  • christian96
    christian96 Posts: 101 Courageous
    As I am learning French now I am watching old French films. 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I've not watched TV for about 2 years. It's difficult for me to follow what is happening due to my hearing loss and central vision loss. I struggle with the regular speed and need things to be slowed down so I can try and read the subtitles. The only accessible streaming platform is YouTube, the speed can be adjusted and it also has subtitles. I wish TV's had the option to adjust the speed of a programme.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • JaneCambs
    JaneCambs Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    I don’t have time for tv myself. If we do have the tv on, it’s normally for something A.A Milne related. Be that a film of Pooh bear or a documentary about Milne and E.H Shephard. This is my sons special interest  
  • sleepysandy
    sleepysandy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I love watching Anime and movies. I have found my firestick really helpful as you can adjust the subtitles etc
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Some really interesting point! I watch TV with audio descriptions, yet these aren't always available. 
    Scope

Brightness