PIP Renewal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Renewal

DisabledGirl
DisabledGirl Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi just before lockdown I sent off my PIP renewal with no changes (PIP runs out beginning September). I understand no face to face appointments currently but most assessments being done over telephone. When I originally received PIP I actually had a paper based assessment and was granted daily living and mobility in the higher bracket. 

My macmillan nurse helped with my renewal and it was sent off on time. 

I've had a call from DWP just asking me 3 quick questions about what I said on my form (dressing, bathing and mobility and what I struggle with) and that I should hear from them within in a week. Does this sound like I'll have no phone assessment? Or was this the phone assessment? I lasted about 5 minutes.

I was that taken aback with call and not expecting it I didn't really think to ask.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DisabledGirl Welcome to the community. I had exactly the same experience with my renewal which was last year before lockdown.

I had an unexpected call from DWP about my renewal but it was the DM and they said they were looking at my award and in order to make decision just needed to ask few questions like you about dressing food prep and if I expected my condition to change (little hope of that\) I cant grow my leg back or get new pair of eyes ?

Anyway I was awarded enhanced for both there and then on ther phone with no assessment.

So I would like to think you will get a decision without further assessment, but it may not be the case but looks like it if they said they will let you know decision by post

Good luck
  • Amethyst32
    Amethyst32 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi my PIP was due to run out during lockdown and I rand to be told everyones PIP was being extended without having to do anything. I got a letter and a text message to confirm this. I havnt had to go for any face to face assessments.
  • janer1967
    @Amethyst32
    Yes all those who haven't been assessed and award was due to end have been given 6 month extension . This is just temp measure until assessments can start again so you will be assessed at sometime when they start again 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @DisabledGirl it sounds like that was the assessment although they should probably have made it clear that it was, hopefully you will get some good news next week, fingers crossed for you
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• DisabledGirl
    Just to update - I received update today that I have been assessed and awarded the daily living and care element at the higher rates until 2024. Delighted. I know it's really rare but that's my initial application and renewal gone very smoothly. 
  • janer1967
    That's great news and thanks for sharing 
  • samfits99
    samfits99 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    @DisabledGirl that’s fantastic news well done. how long did it take them to get back to you once you sent the PIP renewal form off? and after sending it off what type of questions did they ask? last final question did they say if you have been awarded it over the phone or did they say you will find out via letter. 
  • DisabledGirl
    I sent off renewal at the beginning of March just as lockdown as starting. My renewal was due in September. I had a call last week saying they were looking at my renewal and the questions were roughly this -

1. Can I lift the kettle and if so, how do I manage this, how heavy do i make it etc.
    2. What help did i need with dressing and if I did it myself how long would it take me and how would I feel after dressing.
    3. How did I shower/bathe.
    4. What was stopping me being able to do it all myself.

They told me I'd receive a letter within a week. I phoned today just to clarify who was actually phoning me and she confirmed a decision had been made so I asked what decision. She said I should receive letter this week confirming rates.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited June 2020
    Brilliant news @DisabledGirl. I'm really pleased for you! Thanks for sharing.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.