UC crisis grants up to 1000 pounds — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC crisis grants up to 1000 pounds

5imply_Ted
5imply_Ted Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
I was sent a txt several days ago with a link to gov.crisis.direct and didn't think much more about it until a couple of days later when another txt came to say I was eligible and to follow the link gov.id-check.uk/crisisgrant  along with an application id which sent me to the legitimate gov.uk website with an identity verification process. I followed the instructions but having done so was a bit wary. So this morning I called UC who, although didn't have details via my journal, or even knowledge of the crisis grants, assured me that it was not a scam and someone would be in touch. I'm confused because I can't find any reference to these UC crisis grants being offered without application via txt and would appreciate any clarity from the Scope community that I haven't been able to get so far from the UC phone lines. Is it a scam?

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @5imply_Ted,
    I'm really sorry to let you know that I don't believe this is a genuine message. If you've followed the link and logged in using your government ID, I'd strongly advise you to get your details changed as soon as possible. Sadly, there are a lot of fake messages offering grants etc doing the rounds at the moment which are targeting vulnerable people.

This is a relatively new scam involving the 'crisis grants', but there's some information about what to do when you're targeted by Universal Credit scams at Universal Credit scams - Money Advice Service.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, unfortunately as said above it does sound like a scam but I am glad you have shared this with us to highlight it to other members
  • 5imply_Ted
    No problem. Members should take care, as the link that comes with the txt is very convincing and appears to take the victim to the genuine government website. To be reassured on the phone by UC themselves makes it even more confusing. 
  • 5imply_Ted
    Update: After lengthy discussions with UC throughout the day they have reached a decision on how to deal with this. They are putting a note on my account to say that I have not asked for an advance, and advised me to speak to my phone provider to deal with the fraudulent txt msgs which include uploading of victims passport and gateway to UC account.

Gee, thanks UC.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @5imply_Ted. From what I've read they usually try to set up a fake UC account (as ID is often being verified through Government Gateway), to take out an advance loan in someone else's name. 
    As you're already in receipt of UC it shouldn't allow another account to be created using your information. Someone on legacy benefits wouldn't fare so well as it would automatically stop their legacy-benefit claims. You've definitely done the right thing by letting UC know what has happened.

Thank you for sharing it with us and raising awareness of the issue.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,620 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning sorry to hear what has happened with you I hope you get it sorted, I got a call from DWP the other day someone had tried to claim a crisis grant in my name, but thankfully the guy dealing with it noticed all was no correct, he phoned me to ask if I had claimed for it which he didn’t think I had he was just checking, he sd I can contact police as they have an email account for the person who tried to claim, I’m just posting this to say sometimes the DWP do get it right this time they definitely did ?
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,620 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry just to say I’m on ESA so don’t no how whoever it was got my details it’s a scary thought. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.