A year away from being an OAP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A year away from being an OAP

James65
James65 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi all just signed up. I'm less than a year away from being an OAP shock horror! :o
I'm looking forward to learning more about what I'm entitled too once I reach this milestone.
As well as others experiences of the very many pitfalls along the way. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @James65Welcome to the community, wow nearing retirement can I ask are you still working >

I'm not too sure myself about pensions or entitlements to benefits once you become retirement age but I am sure there will be someone on here who can advise

Just wanted to welcome you
  • James65
    edited July 2020
     Hi, and no. I haven't worked for some time due to ill health and caring responsibilities 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020
    Hi @James65
    i expect you’ve looked on this link https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/what-youll-get
    I am in a similar situation and similar age, my pip runs out when my pension starts so I’ve found out that it is possible to renew up to six months before the old award terminates. If no pip then it may be possible to get attendance allowance after pensionable age. 
    There are other experts here who can answer these questions better than me though.

welcome anyway! ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @James65

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today.

I’m one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes I am hovering over that age & I will have to get my head around things shortly.

We have got some senior members on here who will be able to help you with your current situation.

Hi @Adrian_Scope @Chloe_Scope

Can you please help me with this post???

@steve51

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @James65 and welcome to the community! Great to have you with us. :)

Was the link provided by @leeCal any help at all?
    Scope

• James65
    Many thanks, I'm looking forward to making good use of the info provided by you all and commenting in replies as well as adding my own contribution such as it is.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.